Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

JB9321

RVF Newbee
Greetings I am new to this group. Have a trailer and looking to change to a 5th wheel.
I need your help. I am trying to determine what max weight 5th wheel I can pull safely and max pin weight I can safely tow. Many said when I was looking for a truck that a 2500 HD could pull pretty much everything. But I am finding our that doesn’t seem to be true. So hopefully this question can be answered here so others will also know if they are pulling safely.

I have referenced my owners man, other RV forums, GMC HQs, GMC dealer, hitch company, on line calculators and my own calculations and can’t seem to get a unified answer. Everyone says its very confusing to figure out. I have obtained “all” the specs on my vehicle.

The vehicle is a GMC 2500 Sierra HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 6’8” bed
GCVW: 6,532
GVWR: 10,000
GCVWR: 21,100
GCWR: 21,000
GAWR Front: 4,800
GAWR Rear: 6,200
Axel ratio: 3.73
Payload rating: 2,968
Curb weight: 6,532
Tow limit: 13,500

I found an online statement that 5th wheel towing capacity = 15,400

GMC dealer told me 9,500

Owners Manuel = 9,500 (Has to be a typo)

My calcs = 14,568 (truck curb weight minus combined GCVWR)

Thanks in advance.

I'm guessing your 3/4 ton is a gasser. It certainly is not equipped to max tow from what little information you posted. At least you have the 3.73 gear instead of a 3.55, of course a 4.10 would be best.

It can be a tricky thing figuring out what weight fiver you can tow. You are on the right track checking the different formulas. I suspect when all is said and done there will be numerous 36' to 38' fivers you can safely tow.

The issue is most RVers end up loading anywhere from 1,500 to 2,000 pounds of "stuff" to their truck and fiver to actually go camping. All this extra weight, and how it is distributed, will also effect your towing numbers.

Thanks FL-Joe, It is a (LSP) Duramax 6.6L V8 Turbo Diesel and I just discovered it has the Duramax plus pkg with (VQY) chrome recovery hooks, LPO, (MW7) Allison 1000 6 speed auto transmission includes, LPO hitch pkg gooseneck ball and chain tiedown kit with case. Gooseneck 5th wheel prep pkg, suspension pkg is off road twin tube rancho brand shocks and (JHD) Hill Descent Control.

I did not have the original sticker and I was able to download the dealer sticker for $5 from the site: Free Window Sticker Tool | Get the Monroney Sticker of any recent vehicle.

Also I obtained some GREAT reading materials from another facebook forum:

A tow guide is great to have:

2019 GMC Towing Guide (Select appropriate year)

For those out there wondering the same as I was, this information will help a lot!

For those that have a setup already please use the above information to verify your setup to make sure you are traveling safely!!!

Last edited:
In general terms a 2500 diesel will usually do pretty well towing a 5th wheel up to about 37-38 feet long. Anything bigger than that (especially a toy hauler) I'd want a 3500 dually. These diesel engines will pull any load you put behind it. The problem is STOPPING. Trust me, with a 40' plus 5th wheel in an emergency stop situation you'll want the extra 2 tires on the ground and the extra stability of a dually.

Your calculation of 14,568 is technically correct but in reality is just the starting point to find your true max tow rating. You need to subtract from your figure any people in the truck, and fuel, and camping gear, and water or sewage in the RV tanks. Also, your Curb Weight is probably for your BASE MODEL truck. You need to make sure you allow for all the options that were ordered for your truck as well. This can be 1000-2000 lbs. in a lot of cases! All these things must be subtracted from your 14,568 number.

I notice the Tow Limit number you posted is 13,500. Looking at your specs I would say that it has been lowered because of the 3.73 gear ratio. It would be higher in most cases with the 4.10 gear. After subtracting everything I mentioned above, you also need to watch out and not over load the rear axle of the truck. Even if you stay within the Tow Limit of the truck it is possible to over load the rear axle depending on how your 5th wheel RV is loaded. A sliding 5th wheel hitch will help with this. Sliding it forward will help distribute the load to the front axle of the truck.

I know it's a lot of math and I know you don't want to subtract all the weights for those things I mentioned but that's the correct way to do it. This is why I HIGHLY recommend a 3500 dually for the larger 5th wheels. I see 2500's going down the road pulling them every day and I know the diesel engine will do it but can it do it safely? How well will it stop when the idiot in front of you slams on their brakes? :oops:

I am to looking at a fiver. The information about stopping and having a dually makes a lot of sense to me. Helps me in my decision of the truck to get. Thanks.

Greetings I am new to this group. Have a trailer and looking to change to a 5th wheel.
I need your help. I am trying to determine what max weight 5th wheel I can pull safely and max pin weight I can safely tow. Many said when I was looking for a truck that a 2500 HD could pull pretty much everything. But I am finding our that doesn’t seem to be true. So hopefully this question can be answered here so others will also know if they are pulling safely.

I have referenced my owners man, other RV forums, GMC HQs, GMC dealer, hitch company, on line calculators and my own calculations and can’t seem to get a unified answer. Everyone says its very confusing to figure out. I have obtained “all” the specs on my vehicle.

The vehicle is a GMC 2500 Sierra HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 6’8” bed
GCVW: 6,532
GVWR: 10,000
GCVWR: 21,100
GCWR: 21,000
GAWR Front: 4,800
GAWR Rear: 6,200
Axel ratio: 3.73
Payload rating: 2,968
Curb weight: 6,532
Tow limit: 13,500

I found an online statement that 5th wheel towing capacity = 15,400

GMC dealer told me 9,500

Owners Manuel = 9,500 (Has to be a typo)

My calcs = 14,568 (truck curb weight minus combined GCVWR)

Thanks in advance.
F 250! exactly what I was told. can pull anything. I will follow you since I am doing the same. First time 5th wheel. did you get the 6.6 HD diesel?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back