Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

rodmcdowell

RVF Regular
I am considering purchasing a 2015 Newmar King Air with 33,000 miles from a dealer in Texas. The maintenance records that are available show $15,000 in 7,000 miles of miscellaneous repairs since 2020.My question is this normal for a Newmar? Thanks in Advance. Rod

Cost for annual service alone can cost $2k, which accounts for approximately $4k. Don’t know what kind of repairs/upgrades might account for the remainder but not sure it is indicative of a troublesome coach.

I am considering purchasing a 2015 Newmar King Air with 33,000 miles from a dealer in Texas. The maintenance records that are available show $15,000 in 7,000 miles of miscellaneous repairs since 2020.My question is this normal for a Newmar? Thanks in Advance. Rod
Its only normal if you pay for everything to be done by someone else, regardless of the job, cost, or even need. If you look over those records (posting the text would be very interesting) you’ll probably find that a lot, if not most of it, could be done at home with basic tools and supplies, and also that they charged a ridiculously high price for everything because it was a King Aire and the owner had an “open checkbook” approach to maintaining his sizable investment.

That’s understandable if you have more money than you can spend (which is the typical King Aire market) and you dont enjoy some DIY or want to spend time doing other things. But most us are on some sliding scale of willingness and ability to do the majority of the work ourselves. A good example is transmission service. Its probably $1200-1500 on that machine but it would cost you about $450 to do it at home and its an easy job. So it just depends on your tolerances and how much “extra” money you have.

Another possibility is that something major happened out of warranty, costing a lot to fix at some local or regional shop. I had clear-coat failure on the radius portion of my roof, including on the front and rear caps, and Newmar spent a lot of time fixing it as if it were under warranty - no charge. This on a 2016 last year! So if you have somethimg major or significant with the house portion, it might be worth it to take the ride to Nappanee.

So post a list of what was done and for how much and let folks here share their experiences with the indviidual items before going into premature “maintenance sticker-shock” and rejecting the coach. The other thing to consider is that anything major may well have been a one-time fix, and the coach might be trouble free for the next 33k.

Welcome to the forum, if you could expand on your post that would help greatly. Which dealer, what repairs...

That said, we have had a 2013 DS for 3 years and have fixed about 12K worth of stuff in the 3 years of ownership. We bought a warranty for 8K and between slides, a/c's, pumps, leveling, inverters and some small motor repair I'm glad we bought the warranty.

T
Thanks everyone, will post the repairs later today.

Rod

I did a deep dive into the repair invoices, they did include 2 ea. complete engine and generator services, new ac unit, miscellaneous wiring repairs, head light replacement, new shore cord, replaced ac condenser coils, dryer and expansion valve, 3 broken roof vents, ect.

Rod

There's a lot on that list but to give you an idea when I picked up my new (to me) '15 Dutch Star I spent $8K before pickup. That's just 6 new tires and some misc fixes. It goes fast. I'm about to budget another $6K-$8K for house batteries. IT doesn't feel excessive.

2016 pacearrow 38k.
Oil change at cummins plus inspection-$800. I do for about 200.
Trans filter change annually from allison-around 200.00. I do for $40. Oem filter from Amazon. So much more u can do if you are capable?

Latest resources

Back