Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Hi, I am completely clueless regarding RVs and RV life, and have a few questions...

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

TopCat

RVF Newbee
Fulltimer
No
Hi

A couple of years ago the IT position I had for 12 years was sent offshore and our company closed. There were no other jobs, before long we were forced to move to a tiny apartment in upstate NY, Me, My Wife, Son, and three cats. We were stuck on welfare with no job opportunities. My father had died back in the UK and I recently inherited enough money to probably disqualify us from benefits,(thankfully). We had a dream when we were forced to move, buy an RV throw our stuff in it, and leave NY probably heading of AR.

But is it a feasible idea or even a sane idea? We *really* want to be away from NY state it's expensive and the only jobs are in the city pretty much.
We have seen a 2002 Georgetown Forest River (30ft A Case Gas Engine 330700 miles on it) for sale for $17000.
It has some issues: damage to the inner passenger side footwell a brake warning light on,(worrying brake lines, etc??) and the tires have seen better days, but still, look legal.

My wife has a severe spinal injury and would need to pick up pain killers that are controlled substances en route. Is this an issue as we had problems with local pharmacies!

The Cats? How are Cats in an RV? I have visions of sliding litter boxes and scared cats?

What are the costs of staying at an RV park in general? Does that include power and water?

Could you live in an RV for an extended time??

$_51.JPG

$_57a.JPG
$_57.JPG

Thank you so much for reading,

Best regards,

Robin

Only you and your family can decide what is right for you. You can certainly get to AR without an RV. I grew up in NY and left over 40 years ago so I get the urge to leave NY.
You are looking at a 20 year old machine. Inevitably, it will need repairs and updates. Unless you are very good mechanically, these can get very expensive. Parts get more difficult to source, and more expensive the older the vehicle gets. Most would tell you to spend money to save money, in this case that would mean getting this RV looked at by a professional inspector. That would give you a real sense of the investment required to get on the road. Looking legal is different than safe to operate. Your family is onboard after all.
Once on the road, there are many ways to save money but equally there are expenses you can't get away from ( like fuel/ RV gets 7 MPG).
Your wife's doctor can provide the proper documentation to facilitate obtaining her meds.
Many people travel with pets, all types. there is an adjustment period for any new dynamic with pets/ kids/ spouses.

There are tons of pages, apps, and info out there around Camp Grounds that includes costs. Most CG fees include the utilities they provide. Water and power, water, power, and sewer, cable tv etc. Look at a free app like RV Parky, pick someplace and it will show you CG's in area including normal fees.

It's not just about the miles on an RV. Remember, it's a house on wheels. All the pounding that house takes leads to repairs. So compared to a car it looks low but it could represent the potential for repairs and damage.

RVers always like to see new folks join the community, but we also want you to have a positive experience.

Best of luck.

I would love to see you succeed with your dream of full-time RV living!

That said, with the personal and motorhome issues you have described (and some I don’t think you are even aware of), I think you need to rethink this. With a 20-year old motorhome that was not top-of-the-line to begin with, you are likely facing the replacement of all tires and batteries (both age out rather than wear out and are subject to sudden failure after they do) along with doing needed maintenance and repairs. I think you are looking at a cost of at least $10K over the cost of the RV; quite possibly more.

Sorry, but this is my honest opinion after many years of RVing. I would hate to see you dig yourself into a deeper hole than you are right now. Leaving New York for a fresh start doesn’t require a 20-year-old RV in questionable condition.

TJ

Beware. The Georgetown has been known for a sidewall failure issue. I am not sure what years were affected, but that foot well issue may have arisen from separation of the side wall. I personally would not buy a gasser, that is 20 years old. There is enough maintenance and repairs on a new to lightly used one.

If you are intent on RVing, and your finances are limited, you might consider a quality travel trailer, if you have a vehicle that can safely pull it.

You May want to look for work in another state or something you can do online to generate income.

Another idea is workcamping. Here you would be able to stay at a campground in the desired place, while working for the campground. Thus you get a place to camp and generate income, all in one shot.

Latest resources

Back