Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Hi, Kim here. We are new to this site. Been living in RV's for over 20 years.

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

KDT

RVF Newbee
Hi, Am looking for someone, anyone that has had a problem with their RV fridge. I have never had a problem with a fridge before and am baffled on this problem. Been hearing an on and off click and woosh sound for a couple days. My fridge is elec/gas, but we are plugged into shore. And the fridge is on automatic. But today we woke up to water everywhere, and a warm freezer and fridge. My son looked at it and looked at the fuses, they were all ok. Then he unplugged it from the power and woosh the gas came on. Yippeeeee.
Has anyone else ever had this problem? We are in a 1999 Georgetown Motorhome. It is a Dometic Americana. And the fridge of course is original.
Would really appreciate any ideas. Am waiting for the gas to get the fridge up to par so I can re-insert my food.

Check voltage at outlet fridge for power.

Check resistance of wiring of heater (boiler).

Is resistance, is 115vac, may be the brain or switch.

Gave up on RV fridge a long time ago, hope the best for you.

They are really simple, if they are maintained correctly. Yes to the checking the outlet, resistance is dependent on which kind you have and same with amp draw. Sounds like it did not switch over automatically like it should have so the problem may be in the "brow" or control board that you see on the front. This can all be checked if you know how. Find a mobile tech in your area that has been trained on absorption refrigerators.
Now that I think about it, it worked fine when he unplugged it so the problem is in the board or the heat elements.

When the gas is turned on, it appears that the gas valve does not open. When the fridge is turned on, the gas valve allows gas to flow into it. It is at the top of the commercial Fridge. Simply remove the gas line from the gas valve and check if it works properly. If it isn't, you'll have to replace it. If it is working properly, the refrigerator must have a problem. Hopefully, it's just a blown fuse or something electrical.

Welcome aboard! Not propane lockout obviously.

If you were hearing the woosh then it was running on gas not electric, electric is silent. You can hear a gurgling sound in the pipes. Has it been run when the temps are below 20 degrees? That would be a bad thing. But it sounds like the brow selector is acting up. For some reason the gas did not light. Unplugging the 120 plug just forced it to run on gas by eliminating the other option. Could also be a failure in the board on the back. Needs a tech to diagnose it further then that.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back