Thor
RV Model
Axis
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
None yet
Fulltimer
No
We’ve had an rv for 3 months now..newbies. We’ve learned a lot on our trips so far. We are enjoying it!

Welcome to RVForums @Debbyrobin. Congrats on joining an amazing lifestyle. Ask any questions, share any of your adventures, I hope you enjoy time with this super friendly gang of RVers.

Welcome to RVForums @Debbyrobin. Congrats on joining an amazing lifestyle. Ask any questions, share any of your adventures, I hope you enjoy time with this super friendly gang of RVers.
Thanks! I have a question...we are going to Colorado in a few weeks..want to take the rv but the temps could be in single digits..we would stay in the rv on the way out and back but not while in Colorado..is this a good idea or not..we live in Fl so freezing temps are rare for us

Please complete your account details at the link below filling out your RV information. It all depends on your RV, for example mine is fine anywhere anytime as long as the heating system is on but RV's vary.

Welcome from Georgia!

Welcome to RVF, @Debbyrobin; glad you have joined us here.

If you take your RV to Colorado, will you have a secure place to keep it plugged into reliable electric power? And, depending on how long you will be there, will you have access to a reliable source of propane for the furnace (I'm guessing your coach has a propane furnace)? With temperatures well below freezing at that time of year, you will need to keep the heat on even if you are not staying in the coach. And, that will likely burn quite a bit of propane.

Otherwise, you will need to fully winterize the coach upon arrival and de-winterize it for the trip home.

TJ

Welcome to RVF, @Debbyrobin; glad you have joined us here.

If you take your RV to Colorado, will you have a secure place to keep it plugged into reliable electric power? And, depending on how long you will be there, will you have access to a reliable source of propane for the furnace (I'm guessing your coach has a propane furnace)? With temperatures well below freezing at that time of year, you will need to keep the heat on even if you are not staying in the coach. And, that will likely burn quite a bit of propane.

Otherwise, you will need to fully winterize the coach upon arrival and de-winterize it for the trip home.

TJ
Thank you, I think we do need to winterize when we get there..or before..is it something we can do in a campground?

Can you winterize your coach in a campground? Probably, but it will render the coach pretty unusable (no water, toilet use, etc.) until you unwinterize it. And, if you plan to leave the coach unheated during your stay, you will also need to remove all items that can freeze (canned food, liquids of various kinds, etc.)...or, they likely will.

You will need to have enough RV antifreeze (probably 2-3 gallons) on hand when you do the winterizing. Don't forget to put some down each drain too; sink, wash basin, shower drain, toilet, etc. When you get ready to use the coach again, you will need to reverse the process and flush all the antifreeze out of the water system.

Good luck.

TJ

I wonder, has your thor heated basement? How long is your stay? With the heater set at its lowest setting Your pipes won't freeze, and the amount of propane should be minimum. You will need to keep electric or the fan won't keep going for more than a day likely.
I assume you have family in Colorado or why else would you be going there this time of year. I would do a marathon run in a car before I took the MH on ????? road conditions.
Have you made reservations? is the park even open? Many will be closed for the season. It is easy to forget when in the warm how things really are in the cold. Most RVs will stand the cold better than I can.

Just my $.04 worth

Thanks! I have a question...we are going to Colorado in a few weeks..want to take the rv but the temps could be in single digits..we would stay in the rv on the way out and back but not while in Colorado..is this a good idea or not..we live in Fl so freezing temps are rare for us
Lived in Colorado for 12 years and quite frankly, if you aren't going to be staying in it while you are there, I wouldn't bother.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back