Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

chuckie

RVF Regular
we have a 2003 newmar kountry star with a hidden hitch , while traveling our hidden hitch failed while towing our 20 ft. Cargo trailer with jeep wrangler inside . Thank Goodness we could tell all was not right and we pulled over into a truck stop , tongue jack on tralier was in the dirt and hitch was in pieces... just by the grace of God we didn't lose the trailer on the interstate. Come to find out said hitch was discontinued in 2016. The question is Why ? Was this hitch a liability, and how many are on the road just waiting for disaster . Any suggestions on what type hitch should we install on our 33 ft. Motorhome.

Not familiar with the hidden hitch. Maybe you could post a link?
Have you ever had your trailer weighed? What was the tongue weight? Being in the business of commercial trucks where every truck I sell has at least one hitch..............most of the hitch failures I've seen were from being grossly overloaded. You know...........a guy has a Ram 3500 with the Cummins diesel that'll pull a mountain so he throws his 42' gooseneck trailer on the back with his front end loader and 12 pallets of sod..........then calls me to tell me my hitch failed. Turns out the hitch that was rated at 26,000 lbs was towing 42,000 lbs............repeatedly. Not saying this is the case here but I';d be interested in seeing the pictures of the hitch and the mounting brackets.

Here are some pics of Hidden Hitch

Attachments

• IMG_9809.jpg
    IMG_9809.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_9818.jpg
    IMG_9818.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_9798.jpg
    IMG_9798.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_9806.jpg
    IMG_9806.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 32
I found a post on etrailer that stated the hitch was discontinued and had a rating of 5000 lbs. I think you overloaded it.

I agree with TheLookks and think it was a combination of factors. First, a 20-year-old hitch that wasn't properly inspected and the presence of lots of rust. How miles/years has the hitch been abused towing above its capacity? Normally a 5000-pound hitch has a 500-pound tongue weight limit. Not sure which Jeep you have but my Jeep scales at 4800 pounds and adds in the trailer weight and is way over the hitch capacity.

The RV dealer said it was a 10,000 pd. Hitch.
It was on a Newmar kountry star. motorhome
Thank goodness nobody was hurt and glad you stopped.

Never believe what the RV Dealer tells you. Never.

This is a diesel pusher
The second link has Diesel Pusher at Class 3 Hitch at 6,000 pounds and not the 10,000 you were told.

Latest resources

Back