Forest River
RV Model
Wildcat Fifth-wheel
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2019 Ford F-250.
Fulltimer
Yes
First time I’ve owned a truck and RV. I know there are a lot of discussions and opinions about what truck and diesel vs gas but just a general question.

For a 2019 F250 gas 6.2 what is considered max miles before I seriously start looking for next truck. I’ve always considered 100,000 for past cars owned.

Modern gas engines easily go twice that and more when properly maintained. It’s usually everything else on a high milage truck that falls apart. My 2017 F250 Lariet only has 50k on it but interior trim stuff is already failing (noticed it around 36,001 and of course Ford said TS), and the batteries, the battery wiring harness, and sunroof mechanism lasted just past the warranty period. But I’m sure you can reliably get over 200k out of your drive train with a good maintenance schedule. Use the “severe duty” (or whatever they call it) maintenance schedule for towing miles. Re-sale value will drop, but replacement cost is so high, its probably worth it to make the truck go the distance.

"0"!!!
OK now to get serious.
You get rid of a truck when you want a new look!
You get rid of a truck when parts get hard to find.
You get rid of a truck when it starts giving you more repair bills than you find acceptable.

I have only had two vehicles that needed to be replaced anywhere near 100,000 miles, your mileage may vary.

If the truck was taken care of 100K miles is not a lot in my opinion. I worked for Ford turning wrenches for many years and while different models tend to have different issues occur at certain mileages more frequently, a pick-up truck with a gas engine is likely going to make it to 200,000 miles before any major issues if it is well maintained (this doesn't mean some won't have an issue before, but many I worked on didn't have major issues until this point). Transmissions seem to fail earlier for trucks used for towing especially between 175,000 to 200,000 miles (it could always happen sooner, but in my experience 200K seemed somewhat common back in the day when I was in the shop). I got rid of all my Fords around 200,000 miles, with the exception of my 2011 Ford 5.0L Mustang GT, although I do believe they make a quality Pick-Up Truck and wouldn't hesitate to buy one again if I needed it. Out of the 9 Fords I have owned (2 trucks), I have only had one catastrophic engine failure around 160,000 miles which was on a 2002 Ford Mustang V6 that belonged to one of my daughters (cam bearing failed and dropped the oil pressure), but we did buy it used and I believe the previous owner didn't take as good of care of it as he should have. I rebuilt the Engine over the summer, but went ahead and sold it recently before the tranny goes out between 175 - 200k. Even though the labor was free because I did the work, the parts were still quite expensive. On the other hand, I sold my Ford Pick-Up to my nephew several years back with a 180k on it and he has over 200,000 miles on it now ( he uses it for work) and it is still running strong with the original Engine and Transmission, and I used it for towing frequently when I owned it.

1677341232081.png
1677342479294.png
1677342507561.png

1677342695371.png
1677342572441.png
1677342611547.png

Attachments

• 1677342539538.png
    1677342539538.png
    479.9 KB · Views: 4
If the truck was taken care of 100K miles is not a lot in my opinion. I worked for Ford turning wrenches for many years and while different models tend to have different issues occur at certain mileages more frequently, a pick-up truck with a gas engine is likely going to make it to 200,000 miles before any major issues if it is well maintained (this doesn't mean some won't have an issue before, but many I worked on didn't have major issues until this point). Transmissions seem to fail earlier for trucks used for towing especially between 175,000 to 200,000 miles (it could always happen sooner, but in my experience 200K seemed somewhat common back in the day when I was in the shop). I got rid of all my Fords around 200,000 miles, with the exception of my 2011 Ford 5.0L Mustang GT, although I do believe they make a quality Pick-Up Truck and wouldn't hesitate to buy one again if I needed it. Out of the 9 Fords I have owned (2 trucks), I have only had one catastrophic engine failure around 160,000 miles which was on a 2002 Ford Mustang V6 that belonged to one of my daughters (cam bearing failed and dropped the oil pressure), but we did buy it used and I believe the previous owner didn't take as good of care of it as he should have. I rebuilt the Engine over the summer, but went ahead and sold it recently before the tranny goes out between 175 - 200k. Even though the labor was free because I did the work, the parts were still quite expensive. On the other hand, I sold my Ford Pick-Up to my nephew several years back with a 180k on it and he has over 200,000 miles on it now ( he uses it for work) and it is still running strong with the original Engine and Transmission, and I used it for towing frequently when I owned it.

View attachment 17104View attachment 17106View attachment 17107

View attachment 17111View attachment 17109View attachment 17110
Thanks. Great info.

I think it really depends on maintenance beyond if it was a lemon to start. Never had a Dodge but for work and personal have had Toyota, Ford and Chevy. Toyota however doesn’t really have a SD/HD for all intensive purposes. The Fords never a real issue with engine or drive train, Chevy…….well, tranny issues and many in our fleet had this. Maybe a bad year for Chevy but none the less.

I currently have a 2020 F250 7.3 liter Godzilla. Pulls a stated 9400 lb. dry fifth wheel and does very well. Not taxed because I keep the numbers well within its stated specifications.

As to diesel or gas……depends on what you’re pulling and how often. Most can get away with and use gassers for lighter systems. I don’t haul construction equipment nor anything very heavy on a weekly basis so a diesel with it’s incredible maintenance needs and cost was not needed.

I think it really depends on maintenance beyond if it was a lemon to start. Never had a Dodge but for work and personal have had Toyota, Ford and Chevy. Toyota however doesn’t really have a SD/HD for all intensive purposes. The Fords never a real issue with engine or drive train, Chevy…….well, tranny issues and many in our fleet had this. Maybe a bad year for Chevy but none the less.

I currently have a 2020 F250 7.3 liter Godzilla. Pulls a stated 9400 lb. dry fifth wheel and does very well. Not taxed because I keep the numbers well within its stated specifications.

As to diesel or gas……depends on what you’re pulling and how often. Most can get away with and use gassers for lighter systems. I don’t haul construction equipment nor anything very heavy on a weekly basis so a diesel with it’s incredible maintenance needs and cost was not needed.
Thanks. Some good info here.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back