Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
If stranded on the interstate after a snow storm is it wrong to put your slides out? Deploy a grill? Awning? Jacks up or down? What are the right do's/don'ts for highway etiquette?

If you are stranded for a snow storm that means the Hwy is shut down. When that happens anything goes according to my rules. Just be ready for a bunch of requests to use the bathroom.

During the beginning stages of the Covid 19 shutdowns, back when the restaurants were only allowed to provide curbside service, Trish and I fired up the Phaeton and drove to Fat Buddies BBQ. Pulled that rascal right up to the front door, lol. Girl came out, took our order, and laughed all the way back in.

We drove our food to the other side of the parking lot, put out the slides and ate our lunch. It was a fun day. :)

If you are stranded for a snow storm that means the Hwy is shut down. When that happens anything goes according to my rules. Just be ready for a bunch of requests to use the bathroom.
My wife and I were talking about that last night as we are going to be going N on 95 in the spring. We would be fine being stranded but how would a big motorhome sitting there after 10, 20, 30+hours look to people that are cold and need to use the bathroom - what would you do?

We got caught on I40 heading to Nashville in a three hour jam. I fired up genset and got heat pumps running (temps right at 40). Cranked up music and had dinner waiting for movement. DW's first thought was, how long till someone wants to use head? Didn't happen, but plenty of folks were on side of the road eyeing coach. I didn't put out slides, didn't want to encourage visiting hours. DW wouldn't let me crack open beer stores, rightly figuring I would then expect her to finish drive to Nashville.

It is all fun and games for probably the first 6-8 hours. Then yes, I'd be concerned with people knocking. Not so much worried about the potty, which would be a NO in this day and age of C-virus, but wanting heat, food, drink, etc. People will get like rioters when they get desperate, not a good situation. I heard of one vehicle had dogs, yes, I'd offer water and dog food for animals. Sorry humans, you're out of luck. But I probably would ration water depending on the situation, that is vital for survival and I do travel empty black/gray and full water for reasons such as this, a breakdown, etc. I know some thing they are going to do better saving weight, I don't think it works that way when your weight savings is in the tenths of percents of your total weight. It's not an airplane.

Sorry, I’m not turning the DS into a public toilet. You open the door and let one in, you will open the flood gates. All communication will be thru the open drivers window.
But that’s me. Your opinion may vary.

Only with an armed guard (me) and a cover charge. Sorry, cash only please:cool:

Funny I was just saying something to my wife about how cool it would be to be stranded in the snow with those folks on the news with a loaded RV. I'd share everything I could until we ran out.
We had a some what similar situation here because of an absurd highway construction setup. One time a fair number of people were stranded for like eight hours in the interstate. With a class A in the middle. I talked to the class A owners on the way out and all they said was now they needed an extra stop to resupply as they had given away all their drinks, snacks, and a fair amount of water. They were just glad they had filled the water tank before leaving. And also happy that the black tank only ALMOST got filled.

I get that it's not quite the same situation but I would choose to be like those coach owners in such a situation. I could not and would not stand by and not help those who needed it if I could.

Latest resources

Back