Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Gimpel

RVF Regular
I bought a used 17' travel trailer. After doing all the math, and lowering my hitch as far as it'll go, I'm still 2" too high. I'm not towing level, and if the weight distribution is even the tiniest bit off, you can tell when pulling.
(see photos)
The hitch came with the trailer, and I was so excited to have it, because it's a nice hitch and a nice cost savings.
BUT, the shank won't go low enough.

I'm thinking of buying a new shank that will go lower, OR a hitch extension that has a 4" drop. Take a look at these photos and see if you all have any advice, I don't want to weaken my hitch too much by trying to get too fancy. This is my first trailer, and this weekend was my first time "Test" weekend towing it.

Fig 1 - showing the trailer at level and the truck. I was surprised I could not lower the ball any further because I'm already at the bottom shank hole. I don't use the ball stabilizer. instead it has 2 sockets (left/right) for stabilizer bars.

fig1.jpg

Fig 2
My hitch weight capacities.
My trailer is 2900 dry load.
fig2.jpg

Fig3
My hitch from a better view. It's a nice hitch, I don't want to replace it if I don't have to.
fig3.jpg

Any advice? - I'm concerned using one of the products below will change my weight allowances.
These are the products I'm looking at to resolve the issue:

Amazon product ASIN B0085IIG4G
or this:

First, the difference over a 17' trailer may not be enough to warrant any extraordinary action. How did it tow with your first test? I have a 26' TT, and first towed it 5,800 miles round trip to Utah from NJ. I subsequently lowered the hitch about 2-3" to get a level posture, but it was largely for aesthetic reasons, as I had no issues in the many miles. As long as you have your load weight prejudiced to the front of the trailer (without overloading the tongue weight), a minor difference that you've indicated should not have any practical disadvantage. In my humble opinion, of course. Happy camping? Where are you going next?

Latest resources

Back