Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

mtns4mama

RVF Regular
We are trying to figure out what to do about a hitch for our F250 (gas 4x4 w/6.5' bed - no pucks) since my hubby will want to remove whatever we get when not camping (he's not a lumberjack or linebacker, lol) but since he hauls a good bit will want it outta there. I am hearing good things about the Andersen hitches but also folks mention noise. We don't have any experience with 5th wheelers but hubby is an excellent "backer-upper" of regular trailers. :cool:

If you want a fifth wheel hitch all you need to do is when you park pull the four pins and let the trailer lift the hitch out then let it hang on the pin.

If you want a fifth wheel hitch all you need to do is when you park pull the four pins and let the trailer lift the hitch out then let it hang on the pin.
That sounds like it wouldn't be good for the trailer pin mechanism - but what do I know - I'm a newbie?! So that's a safe way to handle that?

That sounds like it wouldn't be good for the trailer pin mechanism - but what do I know - I'm a newbie?! So that's a safe way to handle that?
You just got done pulling the trailer down the road with the kin pin. Why would hanging a 100 pound hitch hurt it? Just for information purposes the king pin on our fivers is the same as the commercial trailers. I have pulled trailers with up to about 65,000 pounds cargo with no problem when I drove big trucks.

You just got done pulling the trailer down the road with the kin pin. Why would hanging a 100 pound hitch hurt it? Just for information purposes the king pin on our fivers is the same as the commercial trailers. I have pulled trailers with up to about 65,000 pounds cargo with no problem when I drove big trucks.
Thanks Gronk, good to know!

We are trying to figure out what to do about a hitch for our F250 (gas 4x4 w/6.5' bed - no pucks) since my hubby will want to remove whatever we get when not camping (he's not a lumberjack or linebacker, lol) but since he hauls a good bit will want it outta there. I am hearing good things about the Andersen hitches but also folks mention noise. We don't have any experience with 5th wheelers but hubby is an excellent "backer-upper" of regular trailers. :cool:
I use the Anderson hitch and find it very tight and no noise when installed according to directions. It is light (about 35#) and with a 3/4 inch socket and can removed and reinstalled is less than ten minutes. The turn over and the Andersen work great to together and leave a flat bed when removed. The Andersen will also give you more room to move the 5th wheel back to accommodate your short bed

One more reason for hanging the hitch on the pin is it is less likely you will walk into it while getting into the front facing hatches.

Latest resources

Back