Chassis
F53
Engine
V10
TOW/TOAD
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Fulltimer
No
Using a height adjustment hitch? Get two!
This is probably common knowledge, but I'm a slow learner.
I had some clunking while flat towing. When on and off accelerator, and at stops and starts. I blamed it on my old Aventa LX tow bar and bought a new Blue Ox Avail. When swapping on the new, there was still a lot of play at the receiver connections. X2 with the hitch riser. Bought a two pack of hitch tighteners off Amazon. Zero movement, zero play, and no more clunking.
I can't believe it took me so long to get these.
Just thought I'd share.
20200815_074245.jpg

I made the same discovery some years back; world of difference.

TJ

I discovered this as well when we started our summer trip. I am using it on the bike rack as well...amazing product.

I never heard so much as clunking, but from the rear view camera, the toad was wandering left and right more than I wanted. I made the tighteners myself, one for towbar and one for the drop hitch. Rock solid straight now ever since. I put mine on sideways to help left and right.

When I first made these tighteners was when I had an F53 chassis. I think the reduction in sway also helped calm down the archaic leaf spring suspension.

Last edited:
I need a 3” drop receiver to tow our Grand Cherokee. I have a Roadmaster hitch tightener on that receiver and it works great on the coach. Unfortunately there isn’t enough of a lip for the same hitch tightener to “bite” onto the drop
receiver. Oh well. I don’t notice it too much when towing.

Does the hitch tightener require to be removed to remove the tow bar?

I'm glad to see @Tjdave you too are NOT using locking hitch pins. To not derail this thread I'll start a new thread to educate others on why we do this.

I'm glad to see @Tjdave you too are NOT using locking hitch pins. To not derail this thread I'll start a new thread to educate others on why we do this.
Educate me because I do.

Latest resources

Back