Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

OntheGORV

RVF Regular
I've owned them all {RV's} I have camped them all from National Parks, State Parks, BLM, etc as well as franchised, clubs, Moose, Eagles, etc, military organizations, FAMCAMP {DOD}, Boondocking to free drycamps throughout the good ole USA. That being said Camping can be cheap to massively expensive. This guy nor most people have never seen the stats of state or national data concerning injuries or fatalities of RV DOT by type by cause or by cost. This stuff is available. It is downright scary. I have seen the carnage and it is ugly. Falling asleep at the wheel, propane explosions, tire blowouts, animal strikes etc. Wind, rain, snow, fallen trees and rocks on highways. Excessive speed, faulty brakes, bad tires, poor maintenance, inexperienced drivers. Bad pavement condition, driving impaired, distractions. Need I say more?
Camping RVing is a multibillion dollar business. RV sales, equipment, memberships, camp fee's, fuel, parts and labor, etc. I have heard all of the good and bad stories. Even from the non RVing public. OTR Truck Drivers stories is a subject of its own. Granted you can't expect a perfect world on the world of RVing. Yet this summer it is a sensitive topic that needs to be brought up. the human cost is approaching a tipping point, never mind the pros and cons of the industry.
What say you?

Most of the issues you mentioned are either preventable or can be anticipated, and the rest come with the territory. Be prepared, approach the task like a professional driver, and enjoy the fruits of your labors.

Last edited:
What's the alternative? Don't live?
Life is dangerous and more so when stupid. Plan to live because the alternative is worse.

Sometimes I wonder how I’ve managed to live this long, looking back on all the silly, stupid things I have done in the past……It’s all good!

Agreed. There are worse things to worry about... And I didn't even get political;)

Sometimes I wonder how I’ve managed to live this long, looking back on all the silly, stupid things I have done in the past……It’s all good!
No kidding. Sometimes I feel like I'm playing on house money.

Having said that you can mitigate a lot of the risks. Take frequent breaks, don't temp weather, be disciplined enough to not be distracted. There's always risks no matter what but many can be managed.

Most of the issues you mentioned are either preventable or can be anticipated, and the rest come with the territory. Be prepared, approach the task like a professional driver, and enjoy the fruits of your labors.
It's nice to think one is among the 1%, until one gets involved in the statistics of data. I assure you, even the 1% get knocked down. Talk to the medical EMT's that deal with issues. Be it human error or good Ol mother nature, there are some RVers that should never be on the road. Or take their public attitude with them. Obnoxious, arrogance, holier than thou, piousness etc. RV's that belong in the junk yard, uncontrollable pets, loud obnoxious music, unruly behavior, most of whom have never managed an RV camp or have been behind the counter of a business. I have talked with hundreds of camp owners, managers, military officers who have their own horror stories concerning camping people. I have talked with many RV mechanics who say that many issues are preventable. I have witnessed too many camp fights and cursing, road rage, campers leaving a mess in camp and out in the country. Come with what territory? I don't think so.

It's nice to think one is among the 1%, until one gets involved in the statistics of data. I assure you, even the 1% get knocked down. Talk to the medical EMT's that deal with issues. Be it human error or good Ol mother nature, there are some RVers that should never be on the road. Or take their public attitude with them. Obnoxious, arrogance, holier than thou, piousness etc. RV's that belong in the junk yard, uncontrollable pets, loud obnoxious music, unruly behavior, most of whom have never managed an RV camp or have been behind the counter of a business. I have talked with hundreds of camp owners, managers, military officers who have their own horror stories concerning camping people. I have talked with many RV mechanics who say that many issues are preventable. I have witnessed too many camp fights and cursing, road rage, campers leaving a mess in camp and out in the country. Come with what territory? I don't think so.

Man, maybe you should tell us what you really think!

Actually it does come with the territory which it why it helps to be good at what you do. Im finishing up my fifth decade in emergency services and throughout my career, Ive always camped. From to time to to time I’ve run into most of the stuff you seem concerned about and have made adjustments accordingly. I still enjoy it, perhaps now more than ever.

I guess my question for you is, what are you suggesting? I was first in on a plane vs house where a teenage kid died in his bed with an airplane on top of him. Are you suggesting we‘d be better off if we all stay home, or are you just venting after some unpleasant experiences?

I would venture to guess most reading this (likely everyone reading this) have tales of camping woe (I have plenty), but it doesnt stop us from living the way we choose, and I hope it doesn’t stop you either. Sometimes it takes a while to find one’s niche, but its usually out there.

Latest resources

Back