Chassis
Ford F-53
Engine
Ford Godzilla V-8
TOW/TOAD
None at this point
Fulltimer
No
Hey all, does anyone with a 2021 Baystar have trouble getting the hood to unlatch. To open the hood is a 2 person job, as the latch does open but the hood will not "pop" to the open position and stays in the safety latch position. It is a pain.

This is a historical issue with BS and CS rigs, our 2019 was hard as well. always felt like cable was one pull away from snapping.

you can add Ventana to the list. Mine anyway. I did some clearance and adjustments but Im still considering a modified release spring design so it pops out nicely.

My Ventana is also in this group, at least that it will unlatch but won't stay that way once you release the handle... I cut an appropriately length pool noodle, slicing it down one side (as done on pieces for slide out corners) and holding the lever out as far as I can I slide the noodle onto the handle. Holds it out so then I can lift the hood.

This is a historical issue with BS and CS rigs, our 2019 was hard as well. always felt like cable was one pull away from snapping.
Thanks for the reply. I have been in contact with the Newmar Baystar rep, and they do have a repair. He has sent me the fix but I will leave it up to the service guys when I take the MH in in the spring. Have a good one.

As stated above, this is a long time issue. You can adjust the bump stops out to a point where they put pressure on the engine cover and hold the cover away from the latch assembly. A few turns is usually sufficient.

I have been in contact with the Newmar Baystar rep, and they do have a repair. He has sent me the fix but I will leave it up to the service guys when I take the MH in in the spring. Have a good one.
I'd be very interested in seeing the Newmar Fix.

I'd be very interested in seeing the Newmar Fix.
Hi, I will try to remember and try to post some pics when it gets done. I too am very interested to see this fix. MH is not going in till mid April, stay tuned.

Hi, I will try to remember and try to post some pics when it gets done. I too am very interested to see this fix. MH is not going in till mid April, stay tuned.
Hey all, got the hood latch on the Baystar fixed up, it works so much better now. The dealership did the mod, Newmar supplied the instructions and some new parts.

I found a simple solution. Don't pull continuously. Simple give it one hard short yank. Voila. Opens easy.

Latest resources

Back