Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Hottest place we ever stayed, so far - Copper Breaks State Park near Quanah, Texas

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

bpaikman

RVF Supporter
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana LE 3436
RV Length
35 feet
Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
Cummins 340 hp
TOW/TOAD
2013 Subaru Crosstrek - manual, flat tow
Fulltimer
No
About the park - evidently popular for equestrians. Lots of equestrian trails and campsites.
All the trails look interesting - it would be a nice place to visit in cool weather.
It's also certified as an IDP (International Dark-sky Park) ..It gets so dark at night that I couldn't see my feet when I looked down.
It has showers - very basic and indifferently maintained, but they're clean enough. I took a shower around 9 pm, to wash off the day's sweat.... Started sweating as I dried off in the still-hot bathhouse. But the walk back to the Turdis was lovely - a light breeze dried me quickly.
It was 98 when we arrived at about 3 pm. Not the hottest weather we've traveled in, but the hottest we camped in. Sun was brutal.
We put out the awnings, pulled down all our shades, turned our windowless backend to the west, and kept our slides in. The AC is doing fine, even while we run the instant pot and other gadgets ( 50 amp hookups. - I wouldn't consider staying here otherwise!)
We were comfortable, but the fridge stayed in the 'red zone' all afternoon and evening, sooooo I guess I'll be throwing out the deli meat. The freezer kept things frozen, THAT's good. So, we decided to push farther tomorrow to cooler climes.

30AF8772-C373-474B-A962-32806F0B0C23.jpeg

Attachments

• 60025A0A-8511-43E2-BA21-7F7DD4756BFE.png
    60025A0A-8511-43E2-BA21-7F7DD4756BFE.png
    52 KB · Views: 7
It's also certified as an IDP (International Dark-sky Park) ..It gets so dark at night that I couldn't see my feet when I looked down.
Can a person get certified as an IDP? After all, I can't see my feet when I look down, even in broad daylight! :cry:

Yes, spacious sites... but they seem short to me ... ours was rated 40 ft max, but our 35-ft stretched from concrete end block to the road. maybe if your rig's backend hung over that block. Some sites were possibly a little longer. You can study them from Google Earth... evidently the Google car passed right through there.
11E04650-6860-470A-B4A3-7739A465E79C.jpeg
01649E3B-59E4-4AAB-9ECF-DF167A149223.png
The park looks interesting for a spring, fall, or winter visit. The temporary bridge get around is constructed of culverts with covered with closely packed gravel... held our 31,000 pound just fine. We reasoned that they would have to build something that could support the kind of rigs that are going to a 50 Amp campground.. But it might be worth checking with them if it had been raining a lot, or if your rig is much heavier

Latest resources

Back