Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

How can I get opposite opinions from what I’m being fed by “algorithms”?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

bpaikman

RVF Supporter
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana LE 3436
RV Length
35 feet
Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
Cummins 340 hp
TOW/TOAD
2013 Subaru Crosstrek - manual, flat tow
Fulltimer
No
I’ve noticed that on the interne, where I get most of my news, I seem to get only one side of current events. Today I was reading and watching news stuff online, and decided some of the stuff, as much as I enjoy it, was a bit one-sided.
(I’ve noticed that when peoplle hear their own ideas over and over, it gets entrenched. They get emotionally invested.)
I I thought “surely someone out there holds exact opposite opinions and I’d like to know what, and why, and how”. The issue I was reading about seems so obvious to even a brainless amoeba, and yet (‘ve read that opinions are ‘split 50-50’.
So, I just want to know how they could think otherwise. Yet I get no feed in my usual sources.
I watch Youtube when I have a bit of time to kill, not enough time for a movie, and usually it’s fun clips on topics I enjoy. But lately I’m flooded with opinion clips on a certain topic I’ve followed occasionally, but with no opposing views.
How can I find different viewpoints?

Foreign press.

Search school college News for less conservative views.

Search church news for more conservative views.

Search financial news for big money views.

Search farmer small Town news for small money views.

Last but not least, If someone here has commented on something and you can't find what they are talking about PM them for their link.
They are following rules for a friendly forum and are just trying to help.

If you post a comment with controversial facts/figures but feel you can’t post a link to where the facts/figures were obtained then the post holds no value in MHO.

If you post a comment with controversial facts/figures but feel you can’t post a link to where the facts/figures were obtained then the post holds no value in MHO.
Would you post a link for that opinion?

Hehe I saw that EXACT controversy in some comments about an arrogant person: One of the commenters said “she’s what we call a 2-20....2 years on the job, 20 years experience” I was thinking ‘Oh, that’s kinda cool, I gotta remember that one.”.
and then a ”Karen” jumped all over him, demanding a source for that quote. Whaaaaa? I watched it develop into a lonnnng argument (50+ comments before I lost track of it)..
Then it occurred to me that “Karen” might be a troll or a bot.
That’s why I don’t participate- but comments are more fun than article’s sometime. ???

Many years ago my divorced parents seemed to agree on thing. That I, a grown man, did not pay enough attention to the news and what was going on with the world. (Umm, well, they weren't wrong.) So my mother subscribed me to a monthly that obviously she favored herself and that was very much out on the left. I'm not sure how intentional it actually was, but the one my father subscribed me to was obviously pretty right wing. Dutiful son I tried to be, I actually read both. I even enjoyed it. The agenda of each was so obvious it made it easy to contrast them and feel like a had a fair grip on how things actually were down the middle. More or less, skipping over when either was truly off deep end. I kind of miss that direct and obvious contrast of information. I think neither magazine still exists and I KNOW they don't in printed paper form. And I am back to paying less attention to news than I probably should.

And...I am NO help at all here. Sorry.

Many years ago my divorced parents seemed to agree on thing. That I, a grown man, did not pay enough attention to the news and what was going on with the world. (Umm, well, they weren't wrong.) So my mother subscribed me to a monthly that obviously she favored herself and that was very much out on the left. I'm not sure how intentional it actually was, but the one my father subscribed me to was obviously pretty right wing. Dutiful son I tried to be, I actually read both. I even enjoyed it. The agenda of each was so obvious it made it easy to contrast them and feel like a had a fair grip on how things actually were down the middle. More or less, skipping over when either was truly off deep end. I kind of miss that direct and obvious contrast of information. I think neither magazine still exists and I KNOW they don't in printed paper form. And I am back to paying less attention to news than I probably should.

And...I am NO help at all here. Sorry.
Hahahaa, great story! I’d like something like that!

Latest resources

Back