Question How did I kill two slides at once?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 3634
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
On a short Sunday drive to Canyon Lake I ran over a steel box-like thing in the center of my lane. I got it out and all seemed OK. Got to the park and my two driver side slides were non-responsive - deadski. Called Newmar this morning with no positive outcome. If anyone has any idea of what may have happened, I’d love to hear it.

RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 4037
RV Length
40' 10"
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Bummer on the slides. Have you done the routine of checking fuses? Shore power vs. GEN power even though they should be 12V supplied, at least mine are. Everything checking good on the Magnum (Inverter) panel? Have you tried cycling power such as turn the salesman 12V switch off wait a bit then back on?

RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 3634
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Yep. Newmar led me through all those, as well as checking the controllers. It’s looking a lot like a trip to NIRVC in my near future.

RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 4037
RV Length
40' 10"
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
It seems hard to believe two slides could have this happen at once which leads me to believe an electrical issue i.e. fuse somewhere.

RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
New Aire 3543
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I’m thinking that steel box you ran over disconnected something underneath, since you’ve checked everything Newmar suggested.

RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Mountain Aire 4047
RV Length
40'
TOW/TOAD
2014 Honda CR-V
I would check the area where you found the "box" very carefully. Are there any visible wires in that area? If a wire was severed, or grounded out, that could account for a loss of power to the slide motors. Like others, I would suspect a fuse. Sometimes, fuses don't have any obvious signs of being bad, but they are.

TJ

RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 3634
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
I’m thinking that steel box you ran over disconnected something underneath, since you’ve checked everything Newmar suggested.
I’m thinking the same, but there’s no evidence under the coach.

RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 3634
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
The Newmar tech says all the slides ate independent of one another.

RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Mountain Aire 4047
RV Length
40'
TOW/TOAD
2014 Honda CR-V
The Newmar tech says all the slides ate independent of one another.
Well, in my experience, nothing is absolutely independent of everything else. And the fact that you had two slides come up with a problem at the same time would likely support that hypothesis. :ROFLMAO:

Did you find the "box" in the entry step area? If so, there are some ground connections in that area. Losing a ground is the same as losing power.

TJ

RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 4326
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
My money is on a fuse (no idea which one) and the box has nothing to do with it.

ARD

RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Dutch Star
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
Yukon Denali
Did Newmar have you do a chassis disconnect to reset? I know that helped me when a slide would not go all the way out.

RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 3634
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Did Newmar have you do a chassis disconnect to reset? I know that helped me when a slide would not go all the way out.
Thanks for the tip! I tried, but nothing good happened.

• Sad
Reactions: ARD
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 3634
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
And...the verdict is in! The problem had absolutely nothing to do with running over the steel box. In the bay with the electric cord reel there's a relay-thingy labeled "DSSR" (for Driver Side Slide Rooms). And, there was a loose wire cleverly hiding behind a plastic cover. Reattached wire and just like magic, the slides work again! I can't help but remember that the Newmar tech I spoke with told me that all the slides were independent of one another. I owe the thanks to Geoff at Longhorn RV Repair in Niederwald, TX.

RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Mountain Aire 4047
RV Length
40'
TOW/TOAD
2014 Honda CR-V
And...the verdict is in! The problem had absolutely nothing to do with running over the steel box. In the bay with the electric cord reel there's a relay-thingy labeled "DSSR" (for Driver Side Slide Rooms). And, there was a loose wire cleverly hiding behind a plastic cover. Reattached wire and just like magic, the slides work again! I can't help but remember that the Newmar tech I spoke with told me that all the slides were independent of one another. I owe the thanks to Geoff at Longhorn RV Repair in Niederwald, TX.
Well, that's good news. Glad the problem is solved. Thanks for the follow-up.

TJ