Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

How do you moochdock without 30 amp hookup?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Unidreamer1

RVF Newbee
We just got our new 30 Amp rv and want to visit family, only problem is they don't have a 30 Amp outlet. How do we do this? We will only need lights and air conditioning.

You can get an adapter (below) to run all the small stuff, but you wont be able to run an AC. You might be able to run an AC if you install a “soft start” kit (second pic) on it. I don't have any experience with these but others here seem to have had good results. I’d post another question such as “Running an AC on a 15amp circuit with a soft start” or something like that.

Attachments

• E3C489EB-11CB-4104-A1B6-F41D4928743D.jpeg
    E3C489EB-11CB-4104-A1B6-F41D4928743D.jpeg
    737.6 KB · Views: 3
  • BA7F7532-C873-4504-85FF-BB33C10D565A.jpeg
    BA7F7532-C873-4504-85FF-BB33C10D565A.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 3
You'll need a generator for air conditioning, you don't want to run air conditioning on 15 amps.

Check if the 110 is on a 20 Amp breaker. I run my ac all the time on mine. Just be aware you can't also run fridge, water heater or other appliances at the same time. Make sure you run the 30 Amp cable all the way to the adapter at the plug.

The small yard implement weed eater style extension cords won't work very well here. There's too much voltage drop which means it pulls more amps which . . . . blows the circuit breaker in the house panel.

As Sanda advised above, you need a much, much fatter extension cable to avoid that voltage drop.

Rick

A clamp on ammeter could tell you though they are less accurate than consulting the owners manual for the running wattage and then doing a little mathematics.

Rick

Here's a guide, not sure how much I'd trust it. I'm pretty sure my a/c draws more amps than what this chart says from watching it on the digital panel.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back