Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

How far behind is Newmar in Tech and Furniture?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Neal

Staff member
RVF Administrator
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 4037
RV Length
40' 10"
Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
Take a look at the recent Entegra videos and I think you may get the same impression as me. I love my Newmar and want to continue with this brand but when you look at what the competitors are doing it makes you realize that Newmar, in my opinion, is really falling behind in key areas. While Newmar may be superior with their woodwork and has the more floor (all tile) and emergency bathroom exit, Entegra seems to be really distancing itself above Newmar in many other areas.

Opinions?

NIRVC is telling me that while Newmar is switching to Villa there is a desire by Newmar to move to residential furniture so it is easier to get repaired. I am not sure how that will work as RV furniture is pretty unique and does not conform to anything I have seen in retail stores. I take what a dealer says with a grain of salt on that note.

I have to look more closely at the tech in the Entegras but with technology also comes more headaches sometimes getting things dialed in. My opinion is technology that makes it safer to drive, safer to live in and easier to enjoy is a big plus. Going from knowing nothing about RV's to understanding them and be able to handle the rig safely can be a rough journey for some and technology can be a great enabler of education and safety.

I think moving away from RV specific furniture would be a smart move. I see no reason for it and it limits the market and quality I believe.

The technology has to advance. RV's have to be where autos (or trucks) are when it comes to the cockpit, no reason not to. Climate control, navigation, dash, transmission, audio.

But it’s all encompassing through out the RV. Not only the dash. As a person with a hearing impairment we need technology in an RV that keeps us safe whether we are living in it or driving. We need technology to help us hearing impaired know when there is a fire or carbon danger. Another example is the TPMS as some people will never hear the high frequency signaling that tells you of a problem. We need technology through the entire coach and have the option to have it.

I think moving away from RV specific furniture would be a smart move. I see no reason for it and it limits the market and quality I believe.
We are still going to need specialized driver/passenger seats. No "residential furniture" is going to work there. Does this mean that those seats won't match the upholstery/color in the rest of the coach? Not a major deal for us, but it probably would be for some.

The technology has to advance. RV's have to be where autos (or trucks) are when it comes to the cockpit, no reason not to. Climate control, navigation, dash, transmission, audio.
Why? As has been stated, "technology" comes at a price; both dollar-wise and maintenance wise. I'm all for technology when it serves a necessary purpose. For us, glass dashes, computerized light switches and similar high-end technology are unnecessary and simply introduce additional failure points into the system.

That's our story and we're sticking with it.

TJ

Last edited:
But it’s all encompassing through out the RV. Not only the dash. As a person with a hearing impairment we need technology in an RV that keeps us safe whether we are living in it or driving. We need technology to help us hearing impaired know when there is a fire or carbon danger. Another example is the TPMS as some people will never hear the high frequency signaling that tells you of a problem. We need technology through the entire coach and have the option to have it.
I can understand, and appreciate, that kind of technology use. It is the "necessary" use of technology.

TJ

Well...that was a very painful video to watch! I "used" to love my Dutch Star. ?

I made a list of at least 20 items that are a SIGNIFICANT improvement, or a SOLUTION to the shortcomings on the Dutch Star.

You mentioned tech, which is my wheelhouse. The Entegra Anthem is lightyears ahead of the Dutch Star. The list is long, but the electronics, HDMI/Input switching, and multiple distribution is THE way I'd want.

The plumbing and wet bay is a much better design.

Lighting is well thought out and so well controlled including motion sensors for security lights.

The Vegatouch w/app has SO many nice features, from preset lighting, right down to an actual temp control for the floors.

Even the little things like ceiling fan, ext vented microwave, and independent control of the fantastic fan covers.

The oddest thing, is that the window awning is a manual pull...hmmm.

Tons more...at bit of a price bump. Let's see what happens.

I’m so technically challenged that working the Logitech remote can sometimes be a struggle ??

Just look at those sofas and compare to the crap in my Ventana! Pitiful!

Latest resources

Back