Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

How far to trash recepticle is acceptable?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Jim

RVF Supporter
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
London Aire 4551
RV Length
Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
Cummins / I6 Diesel Pusher 600HP / 1,950 ft-lbs
TOW/TOAD
2016 Jeep Rubicon
Fulltimer
No
Today's question is trashy to say the least. But here we go. You're paying $50.00 a night to stay in a fairly nice RV Site. What are your expectations on how the park handles trash?

Are you expecting to put it out by the curb (so to speak) where the park host will pick it up, or is it acceptable to walk to a centralized trash receptacle?

TIA!

Guess I can't answer that one since I don't stay in $50 a night places........

Being able to set the trash out in front of the site is always nice. However, I have no problems taking it to a dumpster. It just needs to be clear in your rules sheet at check-in so we know.

In thinking back to the nicer parks we've stayed at, they ranged from picking up the trash at your site (curbside) to a trash bin a couple hundred feet away. With the park you are putting together (and with all the amenities offered for a relatively modest price), I would think having trash bins up to a couple hundred feet away would be fine. In our experience, what you are providing would be at least $100/nite elsewhere, so carrying the trash a couple hundred feet shouldn't be a deal-breaker. It sure wouldn't be for us.

TJ

Being new owners, we've only camped 3 times, at state parks. Considering we hike 4-6 miles during our stay, hauling the trash is not a problem.

Always nice to have the trash picked up curbside but I have no problem taking trash to a dumpster and either way it's not a factor for where we stay. I just want to know the process so we dispose of the trash appropriately. I have no issue walking a hundred yards or perhaps more with my trash bag. We have also stayed at places where the trash dumpsters were located a long way from our site but at a central location that we passed by when exiting. The later works but is not preferred. If you use a commercial trash company and dumpster approach probably best to keep their equipment confined to a single location vs have their truck driving all over the park. Give consideration to prevailing winds and proximity of trash receptacles to any camp sites. I've been in a place or two where there were some sites you would not want to be at in the heat of the summer. We also stayed at a location that had trash receptacles spaced out along the roadside & had one only steps from our site. Initially I thought this is great just a few steps to the trash. Then the trash can filled, the fly's etc. arrived, and more trash piled beside the trash can. Moral of my long story A short walk to the trash is not always a good thing.

I will go along with the consensus of a couple of hundred feet.

However, having curb side pickup is something that will really be appreciated. I’ve paid more for sites that I had to pack my own trash though.

Are you planning to have a work camper, or are you doing everything yourself?

I will go along with the consensus of a couple of hundred feet.

However, having curb side pickup is something that will really be appreciated. I’ve paid more for sites that I had to pack my own trash though.

Are you planning to have a work camper, or are you doing everything yourself?
In the beginning we’ll be doing everything we can ourselves as we learn how to run a park. But the following year we’ll have a host.

I’m sure we’ll pick it up for the first year though. Having personal contact with everyone is important to me.

I need all the walking I can get. I don't mind walking to a dumpster, even at an astonishing rate of $50.

Latest resources

Back