Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

How many hours/miles are you comfortable driving per day in your Class A motorhome?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

BT212

RVF Regular
Fulltimer
No
I apologize if this is has been asked before. New guy here with tons of questions. Thank you in advance for your response.

We drive around 300 a day. Like to leave around 9:00 am or so and arrive at next destination around 2 or 3 pm

Typical day is 4-6 hours. Probably depends on the type of RV. Class A's require constant alertness and attention as in an instant you can get in trouble whether losing control on a turn or reacting to a crazy car that doesn't understand 20 tons in their rear view mirror.

8 is our max, but usually we stop at about 6 hours. Distance all depends on the road and traffic conditions.

If doing 8, we trade off every 2-4 hours or at fuel stops. Once we made the mistake of doing 11. Never again.

I am good for about 10-11 hours behind the wheel, so 500 miles.

We typically limit our day to 4-5 hours on the road. That includes breaks and fuel stops. This last trip we limited mileage to between 250-350 miles. We typically travel on the east coast which has a more complicated road system than out in the south western states

300 is the MAX. Usually less. I'm retired and not in a hurry. We take our time in The morning and stop in time for beer thirty.

Try not to go more than 6-7 hours a day at most. A lot depends on the roads, traffic & weather. If I am going to a RV park, I do my best to arrive an hour or so before dark. That may mean getting an earlier start. Unhooking the toad is not a big deal, backing the RV into a site in the dark can be challenging.
I also take a break every 2-3 hours based on a variety of factors. The boss does not share driving duties,

We work full time so only get vacations and weekends. But I can say on long driving trips in general I need about two days to hit my stride and so try to say below like six hours to start with. My eyes get tired and "sleepy" towards the ends of the first two days. But generally after that I can cruise ten hours and feel fine. That said I try to budget the time to travel casually in the RV. I never am quite able to settle and relax into it like I do a car so 8 hours would be about my limit in it. If I drove it on a lot more regular basis I'm sure that would change. We're pretty big on shopping and exploration stops so not likely to see eight hours of straight driving outside of a family emergency type situation or something.

My rule is always stop before you get tired. Driving one of these things when tired or sleepy can be bad news. Cars can do a little wiggle-waggle. MH not so much.

Latest resources

Back