Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
As many know, I'm in my first ever RV, a 2017 Newmar Ventana 4037, loving it. I ordered it without knowing if I'd even like RV'ing, it was an impulse buy, one with very little research after a rainy weekend visit to the local RV show event just for something to do. Stepping in a "bus" as I've always admired I was amazed at how much space was in these things, a residential frig, microwave, shower, washer/dryer, etc. etc. I was set on either the Dutch Star or Ventana but knew I wanted all electric and not have to deal with propane, I prefer simplicity where possible. I wanted the Dutch Star but the salesman talked me into the Ventana, hey, I thought those 365's looked so much cooler :)

3 months of sleepless nights, watching the movie "RV" with Robbin Williams, then arriving for factory pickup, aka training as I had no clue about these things. Well worth it! I've loved it since day one, well not sure I loved it then as it was overwhelming and seemingly as complicated as the A-10's I used to fly, short of the weaponry (hmmm, a mod idea!). I very much enjoy seeing new things to see, going to new campgrounds and destinations.

So for me it's one RV so far, heavily "made it mine" which makes it that much more enjoyable. Newmar has been wonderful to deal with for warranty, service, repairs and the Newmar community has been the best ever. Having left the Air Force in 2003 and with that leaving all of my friends behind and scattered throughout, I really didn't have a passion for anything after flying A-10's in the Air Force. Kind of hard to compete with that! RVing which started for me in 2017 gave me a new passion. This web site is a continuation of that passion by seeding the community of the future on a modern extendable platform, and I hope if I can find time beyond my software business duties to create RV related apps, etc.

While I digressed a little (a lot) I'd love to hear everyone else's story of your camping and RVing life. Mainly what RV's have you owned, share any stories about them, compare them, and let us all know your RV history.

Tell us how many and what kind of RV's you've owned, as much detail as you desire.
  1. 2017 Newmar Ventana 4037 on Freightliner XCR

Last edited:
I was raised as a kid with the benefit of parents that took us camping and enjoying the outdoors, so RVing has been a way of life.

DW and I actually took our honeymoon (along time ago) up the coast of California in a pickup and 9’ camper on the back. Over the years we have had 5 RVs, 4 class A. We got our first Newmar in preparation of retirement, a DS 4018 which as purchased new. We decided we would continue full time and that the DS 4369 would fit our needs better and made the change in Dec 2019. We are very happy with this coach and feel that if there is another it would be with a change of lifestyle and downsizing.

Hopefully we can all get back to RVing without restrictions soon.

Ok … here is my entry for the "free car giveaway" for most RV's owned!!! After looking at the list I keep asking myself … "what is wrong with me" ??
  • Pre-1979 - Sears Pup Tent
  • 1979 - Coleman Pop-Up Camper
  • 1996 - HiLo 21' Funlite Travel Trailer
  • 1999 - HiLo 21' Funlite Travel Trailer
  • 2007 - HiLo 24' Towlite Travel Trailer
  • 2008 - HiLo 27' Towlite Travel Trailer
  • 2010 - Forrest River 21’ Flagstaff V-Lite Travel Trailer
  • 2011 - Tiffin 28' Breeze Motorhome
  • 2012 - Newmar Ventana 3433 Motorhome
  • 2013 - Newmar Dutch Star 4018 Motorhome
  • 2015 - Newmar Mountain Aire 4553 Motorhome
  • 2019 - Newmar Dutch Star 4018 Motorhome
  • ????
FLSteve

Last edited:
We have owned 3 RVs, 4 unofficially.
I also grew up camping with the parents my entire childhood. Tents to a pop up trailer to travel trailer. I'll always remember that old pop up Coleman trailer, so we helped the kids and grandkids get into a nice used 2001 Jayco pop up trailer. So technically we have owned 4, if only for a short time!

1998 S&S pickup camper-bought new
2006 Four Winds class C-bought new
2005 Holiday Rambler Admiral-bought used, and current
One more? A DP for retirement? I hope so.

2 for me

2013 Entegra Anthem
2017 Newmar Ventana

Ok … here is my entry for the "free car giveaway" for most RV's owned!!! After looking at the list I keep asking myself … "what is wrong with me" ??
  • 1996 - HiLo 21' Funlite Camper
  • 1999 - HiLo 21' Funlite Camper
  • 2007 - HiLo 24' Towlite Camper
  • 2008 - HiLo 27' Towlite Camper
  • 2010 - Forrest River 21’ Flagstaff V-Lite Camper
  • ????
FLSteve
Seek help, @FLSteve. :p

Relative newbie. Except for a stint in the Boy scouts followed by a period of time wearing olive drab clothing (Army) RVing or camping was never my thing. We were always boaters. Actually planned on living aboard and traveling on our boat when we retired.

When the time approached we began comparing full time traveling in a 40' boat to full time traveling in some type of RV. We decided that the RV was the way to go. Did fivers first then went to Class A's.

1 - Keystone Montana 38' fiver
2 - Keystone Montana 39' fiver
3 - Thor Challenger 38' Class A gas
Current - Newmar Ventana

Six!

1972 Red Dale 15' travel trailer
1993 Aljo 21' travel trailer
2000 Keystone Montana 34' 5th wheel trailer
2012 Forest River Solera 24' Class C coach
2014 Newmar Ventana LE 34' Class A coach
2018 Newmar Mountain Aire 40' Class A coach

The little Red Dale served us the longest and still evokes a lot of great family memories. It might still be with us if it had not been crushed by a tree that was uprooted during the 1993 Inaugural Day Storm in the Seattle area. Fortunately, we were not in it at the time.

TJ

• 1996 - HiLo 21' Funlite Camper
  • 1999 - HiLo 21' Funlite Camper
  • 2007 - HiLo 24' Towlite Camper
  • 2008 - HiLo 27' Towlite Camper
  • 2010 - Forrest River 21’ Flagstaff V-Lite Camper
  • ????
FLSteve
BTW, WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU ?
o_Oo_O

We were both fortunate as children, because our families each had small trailers for camping trips. We have great memories of those adventures. When our children were young, we purchased a solid sided pop-up camper so they could have their own fun memories. In our late 30’s, 40’s and 50’s, we enjoyed visiting many countries in the world. We started to realize we needed to explore the US and Canada, and thought the best way to enjoy long road trips would be in the comfort of a motorhome. In 2005 we purchased an Alpine Coach. We loved it!! Then in 2017 we moved on to our Dutch Star. We already have 35,000 miles on it, and many more good memories. Judy D

Latest resources

Back