RVF Regular
RV Year
RV Make
Transcend Xplor
RV Model
200MK
Fulltimer
Yes
I've been asking all the wrong questions for months running myself in circles trying to calculate tow ratings and GVWRs and UVWs and payload capacities, but it all really comes down to how much does my stuff actually weigh? How much cargo weight are you guys actually carrying in your travel trailers? I'm planning to full time for 6 months to a year, so what does my life weigh? I'm a minimalist, I don't have tons of clothes and stuff. I'm going to be solo traveling with just my dog. I've gotten a scale weight of my truck with me in it and a full tank of gas at 5250 and I have 1350lbs of payload left. I'm looking at a unit that has a UVW of 5250lbs and really want to stay at 6000lbs max. My tow capacity is 7900 and GCVWR is 13500. So unless I'm calculating the numbers wrong, I'm giving 900lbs for tongue weight on 6000lbs. So that's leaving 450lbs of payload in the truck and the 750lbs in the trailer to hit 6000lbs. So I have 1300lbs to work with. Does everything else weigh 1300lbs? I can't imagine I have 1300lbs of stuff, but I'm sure there are things I'm not even considering because I've never done it. How much weight are you guys actually carrying(without water, I don't really plan to boondock and wont be towing with full tanks)?

Most important weight is stuff on the tongue and in front of the trailer axles. Battery(s) and propane on the tongue, the hitch and weight distribution bars. Then things in the storage area in the front. Plus whatever is in the truck bed.

I’m about 240 lbs but I’m trying a new diet.

When I had my 5th wheel we had about 1600 pounds over UVW. Now that includes batties and propane plus a full basement. If I tell my wife we going for 10 days and bringing 10 days' worth of clothes to her that means on the 10th day she still has a lot of choices. I think the amount stuff depends on the amount of storeage you have - curretly I have Class A and we have over 2500 pounds over UVW (7222 CC). I will say this, when we had our 5er and some told me that they I had 1600 and laught and said I would guess around 500 pounds but stuff adds up quick.

I've been asking all the wrong questions for months running myself in circles trying to calculate tow ratings and GVWRs and UVWs and payload capacities, but it all really comes down to how much does my stuff actually weigh? How much cargo weight are you guys actually carrying in your travel trailers? I'm planning to full time for 6 months to a year, so what does my life weigh? I'm a minimalist, I don't have tons of clothes and stuff. I'm going to be solo traveling with just my dog. I've gotten a scale weight of my truck with me in it and a full tank of gas at 5250 and I have 1350lbs of payload left. I'm looking at a unit that has a UVW of 5250lbs and really want to stay at 6000lbs max. My tow capacity is 7900 and GCVWR is 13500. So unless I'm calculating the numbers wrong, I'm giving 900lbs for tongue weight on 6000lbs. So that's leaving 450lbs of payload in the truck and the 750lbs in the trailer to hit 6000lbs. So I have 1300lbs to work with. Does everything else weigh 1300lbs? I can't imagine I have 1300lbs of stuff, but I'm sure there are things I'm not even considering because I've never done it. How much weight are you guys actually carrying(without water, I don't really plan to boondock and wont be towing with full tanks)?

All your weight is in the water. Black, gray and fresh. If you carry a lot of food, canned mostly. You should really not have to worry. Water weights 8.34 lbs per gallon, so if you can carry 100 gallons, that basically 838 lbs. And if you think about it, 16ozs of liquid, really weight very close to that in pounds. Hope this helps.

I just weighed my coach today (Oregon leaves the scales on even when they are closed) and I weighed 31,600. My approx unladen weight is 28,000 but as delivered the coach was more like 28,800. So today Im carrying around 2800lbs but about 600 of that is water (2/3 tank). So 2200lbs minis us and the dogs (gotta be careful here) and we are down to around 1800lbs. A little under 1/2 tank of fuel and 10 gal of propane, and we are now at around 1500lbs of just stuff. Food, cookware, tools, compressor, solar panels, extra DEF, camp chairs, extra camp chairs, folding table, bbq, spare parts and supplies, clothes, etc. I could easily leave 200lbs of unnecessary stuff at home for a net 1300lbs, and thats for two adults and two dogs, but Im so far under my GVWR and GCWR that it really doesnt matter. But you can see how it adds up and where you can shave some weight. Also my 3400lb Jeep weighs 3900 as is, with the rack, two boats and associated junk. But I have 10,000 towing capacity and another 3400 ccc available. If my specs were close to my actual weight I’d be much more careful about what I carry. I’d leave stuff I don’t routinely use behind. But I’ve found that when I do that I end up needing something I left at home, and as I said, I can afford to carry extra junk. I’d bet your load will be under 1,000lbs. That help?

I just weighed my coach today (Oregon leaves the scales on even when they are closed) and I weighed 31,600. My approx unladen weight is 28,000 but as delivered the coach was more like 28,800. So today Im carrying around 2800lbs but about 600 of that is water (2/3 tank). So 2200lbs minis us and the dogs (gotta be careful here) and we are down to around 1800lbs. A little under 1/2 tank of fuel and 10 gal of propane, and we are now at around 1500lbs of just stuff. Food, cookware, tools, compressor, solar panels, extra DEF, camp chairs, extra camp chairs, folding table, bbq, spare parts and supplies, clothes, etc. I could easily leave 200lbs of unnecessary stuff at home for a net 1300lbs, and thats for two adults and two dogs, but Im so far under my GVWR and GCWR that it really doesnt matter. But you can see how it adds up and where you can shave some weight. Also my 3400lb Jeep weighs 3900 as is, with the rack, two boats and associated junk. But I have 10,000 towing capacity and another 3400 ccc available. If my specs were close to my actual weight I’d be much more careful about what I carry. I’d leave stuff I don’t routinely use behind. But I’ve found that when I do that I end up needing something I left at home, and as I said, I can afford to carry extra junk. I’d bet your load will be under 1,000lbs. That help?
Helps a ton! Thanks

Not a travel trailer, but our UVW is 43,800 and we were recently weighed at 49,300. I guess we're carrying most everything we need at this point, and it weighs about 5,500 pounds.

Latest resources

Back