Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question How often are you changing your RV water filter?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Neal

Staff member
RVF Administrator
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 4037
RV Length
40' 10"
Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
I was on a quarterly plan, I think I'm going monthly. I put new filters in when I left July 1st and my filter last I looked (when sanitizing fresh) was already looking shady. My water is not clear in the toilet, kinda disgusting looking. Two campgrounds ago the water looked carbonated, it came out of the city water spigot fizzy, I figured it was just aerated or something, even after sitting in my fresh tank it came out of my faucets fizzy. Weird. I have since drained fresh and refilled at another location, and it's as described above, a brownish non clear. So a new filter is going in and more are being ordered and I'll be changing monthly now.

What is your water filter routine?

Oh, I'll also be double filtering and using one of those blue things at the spigot. I have a dual filter setup in the wet bay with sediment and carbon filters.

My dual filter system I use:

My filters:

Given that I only have one water filter, which would you reccommend - the .05 micro or the carbon filter?

Every 6 months.

The answer isn't simple. There are two factors involved. One is the time of use and the other is the number of gallons of water that passes through the filter.

Regarding time, once a filter is started and being used, if it is stored between trips there can be growth occurring within the filter. This is the time part of the equation.
Then the gallons of usage is another. If you camp every week and use a lot of water the filter will require more frequent changes.

Some store their filter element(s) in the refrigerator or freezer to prevent bacteria and fungus growth within the filter. While others use a lot of water and change their filter often.

Another unknown factor is the quality of water passing through the filter. If one is using water from a known clean and pure source such as utility-treated water, there is less for the filter to do. Thus it will last longer. While if the water source is local untreated well water, no telling what's in it and the filter may have a lot of work to do collecting and cleaning up the water.

If in doubt, change it and install a new element.

Bob

We have clear canisters, so we have a visual indication when filters start to have visible change.
For us the time between filter changes varies primarily by water quality and temp.
We have 2 filters, first is a 20 micron sediment filter and the second is a 5 micron coconut shell carbon.
Works well for us.

Do you have a link for clear canisters? I'd like to use those.

Thanks. Hoping I can find a clear canister that works with mine, generic house filter style.

I’m a big fan of the duel filter system. And, for the small price of filter cartridges, I change at least every 2-3 months, sooner if traveling in areas like @Neal is experiencing. I also use a .5-1 micron filter. Knowing what I know about bottled water, I have no problem drinking campground water after passing through my coach filter system. Paying close attention to how you hookup/handle your fresh water and sewer systems when you arrive at your rv spot is seriously important and taken much to laissez-faire IMHO.

Latest resources

Back