24V Navion
RV Length
Engine
Mercedes Benz
TOW/TOAD
2017 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Fulltimer
No
Was curious as to how often owners sanitize their water storage tank?

We are getting ready to take a 5 day road trip. I last sanitized in July, filling the 60 gallon with a cup of bleach, and letting it sit for a couple of hours after turning on the faucets for a few minutes.

There is currently about a 1/3 of water that has been sitting in the tank since July. I am considering dumping the water and re-sanitizing.

Is this mostly a judgment call?

Thanks all,
Joe

For us, any time water sits in the FW tank, unused, for more than a month, we sanitize. Rather than using bleach, however, we prefer Thetford Fresh Water Tank Sanitizer.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001TIV1KA/?tag=rvf01-20

It doesn't leave the residual chlorine taste...because it isn't chlorine-based.

When we are on the road with the coach, we use water from the FW tank and refill rather than using directly from the park supply.

TJ

I do it once a year, at the beginning of the season. Every 2-3 weeks I run the fw tank down to 1/3 and refill.

As a full timer, our water is not in the tank more than a day or two, but we still sanitize once a year.

if I were storing I’d probably sanitize before and after storage.

I bought the stuff, probably should use it. When I anchor down at Palmcatraz mid February I'll probably get it done.

For us, any time water sits in the FW tank, unused, for more than a month, we sanitize. Rather than using bleach, however, we prefer Thetford Fresh Water Tank Sanitizer.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001TIV1KA/?tag=rvf01-20

It doesn't leave the residual chlorine taste...because it isn't chlorine-based.

When we are on the road with the coach, we use water from the FW tank and refill rather than using directly from the park supply.

TJ
sooooo, How do you refill it?

I agree with TJ we would sanitize our tank anytime it’s been sitting for more than a ....month, I agree.

I believe he is saying he refills his FW tank and uses the pump at all times, rather than turning off the pump and using city pressure. I do pretty much the same as well.

We refill our fresh water tank from a potable water source not associated with a dump station. And, we sanitize the water tap with a spray disinfectant (Lysol) followed by purging the tap by briefly free-flowing water from it prior to connecting to it.

TJ

Thanks, that is exactly what Susan and I were wondering. How do we get the chlorine or sanitizing agent in the tank?
Thanks in advance

Latest resources

Back