Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
How to drive a Class A motorhome! I think my flying skills retain, even after a 20 year hiatus better than my RV skills. Yes, checklists are important, no, nothing happened, it's just amazing how rusty you feel after only 3 months away. Yeah, my parking brake wouldn't release for some reason, it finally did, these things do not like to sit! Driving it was like driving it the first time all over again, and I'll never forget that day in Nappanee, IN or the first backing it in with everyone at Camp Newmar watching! Anyhoo, this is also a reminder to those that do take long breaks from RVing to treat it as your first drive all over again. Walk arounds, checklists, review things 2-3 times, and be careful....and drive slow!

It sure feels nice to have her back again and can't wait to hit the road Sunday. She's a mess and needs a good cleaning and the typical first 2 days is always painful getting junk put away and organized but I sure am glad to be back in the coach again!

@Neal Are you coming west again this winter?

Yeah, my parking brake wouldn't release for some reason
Remember, the parking brake requires the system to be at least partially aired up (at least 60# I think) before it will release. It releases with positive air pressure.

I cycled the brake a few times to get the air gauge to come down and then waited for it to top off. I may have not waited long enough initially. My hunch is I'm not used to it sitting this long and it probably has more air in it from routine use vs. this time and it just took longer. So yeah, I think you're right @J&JD -thanks!

I would never go west in the winter - only north! :) ?
But Neal, your northern travels are so hilarious, and unforgettable ??? Judy D

But Neal, your northern travels are so hilarious, and unforgettable ??? Judy D
Haha. Only after surviving my escapades!!

Success is the difference between an escapades and a tragedy!
Self awareness is what helps maintain the margin of success.
Glad all worked out well, we all experience the same thing even if we don't like to admit it. The coaches like to remind us that the laws of nature are still in full effect. An object at rest looks to remain at rest.
DW just hit me with an OBTW tonight, we head to factory in two weeks. She saw something dripping. She didn't have time (or apparently motivation) to investigate. Gives me something to ponder for next two weeks!!!!!!!!!!

I know how you feel @Neal, I was just telling a fellow RV buddy the other day that it seems lately every time I take the coach out it is like I have to relearn everything again. Too long between trips....

It's all part of the adventure, though, isn't it! I think a necessary part of truly enjoying the RV life is knowing that stuff's gonna happen, so just roll with it when it does.
And Amen about check lists! We travel full-time, but whether it was a 1 night stop, a week, or we were there for a month, I use my check lists each time, I do a full walk-around at least twice, and I view the coach from 25 yards in front and 25 yards in back. And frankly, the more you do something, the easier it is to make a mistake - I remember putting that awning in . . . oh wait, or am I remembering putting it in yesterday?!
Have fun! Safe travels!

Latest resources

Back