Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

How to fix a 110 50amp. RV system that was accidently plugged into a 220 30amp outlet?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Lance B.

RVF Regular
Moved into a new house and the new garage has a 30amp. outlet that the last owner used for their Camper. We plugged or Camper into it and now the only thing that works is the Microwave and the TV. I see that the 30amp. is actually set up as a 220v. I think something either burned out or up. Why is the TV and Microwave still working? Thank you for your help.

I’m assuming that you have now found a proper power source to test things, and I would say the tv and micro wave still work because they were off when you plugged in to 240v (assuming thats how it was wired). So start at the beginning with your transfer switch, and then check all the breakers, and go from there, and you’ll find the issue.

I assume you're also indicating that the lighting isn't working, either. If so, that could be the supply breaker for the converter, or worse, it blew the convertor up.
Like Rich said.....one step at a time.

Roger

How about pics of your plug and the receptacle you plugged into? Then some of the voltage at each point in the receptacle? Particularly one of the 2 diagonal holes with a multimeter in each?
How did they not burn up their unit with it?

Knowing the brand and model of your rv is always a plus.

Sorry to hear that. I’m not sure if you have a 14-50 50 amp 240 volt plug or a TT30 30 amp 120 plug in your unit as the title is misleading. I have never heard of a 110 volt 50 amp RV.

Also what kind of receptacle did you plug into. That will all help with figuring out what happened.

Cheers.

How about pics of your plug and the receptacle you plugged into? Then some of the voltage at each point in the receptacle? Particularly one of the 2 diagonal holes with a multimeter in each?
How did they not burn up their unit with it?
Their unit was probably a welder.

I’m assuming that you have now found a proper power source to test things, and I would say the tv and micro wave still work because they were off when you plugged in to 240v (assuming thats how it was wired). So start at the beginning with your transfer switch, and then check all the breakers, and go from there, and you’ll find the issue.
Thank you Sir. Everything was off when I had switched over. I have checked all breakers and fuses and none of them were tripped or blown, so I think I am good there. I have a Breaker and Fuse panel inside the Camper, and I would assume that the Transfer Switch would be behind the cover? Just a note, the Battery back up is working and does run everything but the Microwave and Elec. Fireplace.

Thank you Sir. Everything was off when I had switched over. I have checked all breakers and fuses and none of them were tripped or blown, so I think I am good there. I have a Breaker and Fuse panel inside the Camper, and I would assume that the Transfer Switch would be behind the cover? Just a note, the Battery back up is working and does run everything but the Microwave and Elec. Fireplace.

Latest resources

Back