Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

How to prepare residential fridge for a few weeks without power?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Tnedator

RVF Supporter
I have to get my RV into a diesel shop and it will be without power for at least a couple weeks (bringing it a week before appointment due to my schedule, and they will have it 1-2 weeks, depending on parts needed to fix).

What I'm not sure about is the water to the icemaker and dispenser. Not sure there is any way to drain, so do I just let it simmer in the heat, and then sanitize before use again?

My plan was to empty it, open the doors and turn the breaker off, and let it warm up with the doors open, and then make sure the inside was dry before closing the doors, but not sure what to do about the water in the lines/ice system.

My plan was to empty it, open the doors and turn the breaker off,
IMHO this is all you need to do to prevent mold. Don't worry about the water, etc. so long as the water pump is off.

With that said, some of these places can connect you to power even with a 15A extension cord and in that case you can leave the refer on. Some even have 50A hookups.

We park our DS for weeks at a time with the breaker to the refrigerator off. We leave the doors cracked open to make sure the refrigerator dries out. A few days before we are getting ready to leave we turn on the refrigerator and the water pump. We then dump out the initial couple of ice drops and we are all set. Been doing this for many years with no problems.

IMHO this is all you need to do to prevent mold. Don't worry about the water, etc. so long as the water pump is off.

With that said, some of these places can connect you to power even with a 15A extension cord and in that case you can leave the refer on. Some even have 50A hookups.
I checked, and while Cummins will, this diesel shop said they have no way to keep it powered. I'm traveling out of the country, and trying to fit it in before a big trip to FL with family, so am having to drop it off nearly a week early, and it will sit in their yard, with no power available, for a week before the appointment time.

We park our DS for weeks at a time with the breaker to the refrigerator off. We leave the doors cracked open to make sure the refrigerator dries out. A few days before we are getting ready to leave we turn on the refrigerator and the water pump. We then dump out the initial couple of ice drops and we are all set. Been doing this for many years with no problems.
Good to hear. That was my thinking. Wife emptied it today, but didn't know where the breaker was. I'm going to go buy tomorrow to flip off the breaker, and make sure the doors are open for it to dry out.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back