Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

How to repair RV roof with lots of old sealant?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

peters

RVF Newbee
I'm recaulking my RV trailer. Going well except these heavy lines of something slathered on the roof. When I try to lift, it seems the rubber roof lifts with it. The RV repair shop said the rubber membrane is actually in good enough shape, but it will be no good with the method I'm trying to remove this stuff. How can this be repaired? Eternatape? "Through the Roof" sealant (https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0013IXAGE/?tag=rvf01-20
Is there a good product I could just go over it with? We got the trailer for cheap and the look of the repair isn't as important as making sure it won't leak in the future.
For the smaller caulk lines I'm using thermoplastic caulking that people use for caulking outdoor window trim which is going well.
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• caulk trailer.jpeg
    caulk trailer.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
Sorry for the very late response. I don't come here that often. I would cover that entire seam with Eternabond tape. Clean it up really well, then go over it with Acetone to remove any oil. Apply a wide piece of Eternabond (I believe it comes in 2", 4" or 6" widths) on a warm day (at least 70 degrees), press it down hard with a small roller or your fingers (roller is faster and easier). Then run a bead of caulk along the front edge of the Eternabond to keep highway winds from eventually peeling it up (that is a thing - it takes years, but the caulk will prevent it from happening). You'll likely never have to mess with it again.

Latest resources

Back