Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
I discussed in the thread below tips on making your whirlpool washer work for those of us that have the joyful one that is so finicky thanks to Newmar's great choices in cheap appliances.

Tonight I went to do a load of laundry and yet again the washer just flashed the door locking light and never would start the cycle. I was prepared as per the thread above I ordered a new door lock. I replaced it in under 5 minutes, more like 2, and instantly the washing machine works perfectly! Such a simple fix I don't know why Newmar doesn't stock these and send them to anyone that has this problem. I went through so much nonsense and expensive campground nights when in Naples/Ft. Myers waiting on Whirlpool, having a mobile RV tech per Newmar pull my washing machine out, several times, yet a 2 minute cheap part fix was all it took. I watched the video below as I typically do to prepare for a first time service such as this. It was as simple as pulling the spring and lifting off the retaining ring, remove two screws, pull out the switch and replace it, insert screws and reinstall the retaining ring. The guy in the video below said to push off the rubber "thing" all around, no, I only removed it plus/minus 6 inches of the switch was all that was necessary, granted he was replacing two parts. My hunch is water may corroding the contacts on the door lock. I ordered two more for spares from eBay as I'm concerned someday this unit is no longer sold and parts will become unavailable. The fix is so easy and it's so much cheaper than the hassle and expense of replacing a washer and dryer which is completely unnecessary.

Don't pay anyone to do this, don't mess with Whirlpool, this is SO EASY!!!

This morning I continued the laundry loads and sadly once again the flashing light saga continues. I got it working again after a few of the usual on/off whatevers but it appears the problem is deeper than the door lock in which I had hoped was a cheap simple fix. So I'll either have to continue this battle or someday find a replacement hopefully I can do myself or with the help of one other. Not for now though, it works, just frustrating. And even know I had a warranty incident via Newmar with Whirlpool Newmar won't do anything to help outside of the 1 year warranty even knowing this unit is a problem. Thank you Newmar.

Neal,
When we first bought our coach the washer wasn’t working and the dealer replaced the door switch. That seemed to solve the problem but a few weeks later it started doing the same thing, erratically, depending on the # of door slams. Newmar actually sent a tech to our home where the coach was. This tech was fully aware of the problem and his solution was adding slim washers behind the door latch which snugged the door closed ever so slightly. He said he had done this numerous times with good results. No problems now for over two years (knock-on-wood).

Thank you! I'll give that a try.

@Neal ,
Did you ever try this fix?

I'm back in the coach now, put the washers in last night (wasn't easy) but haven't tried it yet. I'm boondocking all week unless I cancel this trip which I'll determine tomorrow night.

Neal, this is one time Newmar really stepped up. As stated we had the same issue with our washer from the very beginning, just getting it to start? Of course, we were told to contact Whirlpool service. After finally getting a live person, we were told they would not come to service a motorhome!! This is in the SF bay, where there are many service people!
i called the Newmar contact people for our coach, and they said they would handle it. The next day, I got a call from Whirlpool wanting to scedule service!!! Luckily, a tech came out who serviced this model in apartments. He knew what to do, and said the washers will do well after the fix. So far, two years, and all is ok. If I ever have another problem, I will replace it with a Splendide. Judy D

So far success. Two loads of laundry started with no fuss after the spacer/washers were installed. This thing goes hit and miss so we'll see over time. Thanks for the tip @J&JD

So far success. Two loads of laundry started with no fuss after the spacer/washers were installed. This thing goes hit and miss so we'll see over time. Thanks for the tip @J&JD
Washer still performing ok?

Washer still performing ok?
I was only out for a few days, back home now. I resume the journey Sunday for two weeks so I'll see how things go then.

Latest resources

Back