Chassis
Spartan
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2018 Ford Flex
Fulltimer
No
For those of you with Large Hybrid Invertors, we are considering upgrading from a 2800 watt Magnum Pure Sign Invertor to a 4000W Hybrid Pure Sine invertor.

The new rig is an "All Electric" diesel powered RV. The electric stove will be pulling power rather than the old gas stove in the new rig. This has me concerned about over wealming the electric capacity of a 2800 Watt invertor.

What other modifications would be required to complete this upgrade, Wiring? Fusing? etc.

Last edited:
Will the induction stove be wired to the inverter breaker board or will you do it? In mine, it is not wired to the inverter. You may need to make changes if you want to exceed the 30 amp capacity of the inverter breaker board…

Thank you for that bit of info. I did not realize that the cook top is not wired to the Invertor. Not wiring the Cook Top into the invertor, of course, make perfect sense:)
In the last rig we did wire in the front AC to the invertor with the addition of a Soft Start. Not having the cooktop wired in to the invertor circuits will really put a crimp in the boondocking plans..:-(

Ha! I agree. And I did the same thing with the front AC in my Ventana.
One thing you can try, is when you want to run the cooktop from the inverter, just lift the induction cooktop unit, unplug it and plug it into one of the outlets under the upper cabinets, which are on the inverter. Just don’t run too much else as the cooktop runs off a 20amp breaker (I think), so you would have to see if it really pulls that much power. Somthing to look at.

Edit: I think the outlets are also 20amp…. Will double check later.

pic added:

Attachments

• C16B2965-ACCF-4B7F-97C1-4F132850581E.jpeg
    C16B2965-ACCF-4B7F-97C1-4F132850581E.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 13
The nice thing in having that outlet for the induction cooktop only sourced from shore power is it can draw higher amps safely such as if you want to use an air fryer, etc. In the above picture from @Richpatty you can see the breakers are grouped. The left set is the shore power section, the right set is what the inverter is powering.

Where are you going to get almost 290 amps at 13.8 volts DC to run an inverter this size? What does the operators manual call for input amps and volts to adequately support an inverter this size?

Volts x amps = watts.

Rick

I"d expect the current at full load would be over 300 amps. I would project about 0.25V drop on each side of the DC cable or about 0.5 volt total. I view that 300 amps is a LOT OF AMPS to pull out of any battery bank. Be they FLA, AGM, or LiFeP04 types.

Also, I wonder what the duty cycle of the projected converter replacement.

Anyway, one needs to make a detailed evaluation of the 120-volt electric needs of the coach. Every electric-powered item consumption is expressed in AMPS or in WATTS. Easy: 120 x AMPS = WATTS

Bob

Hey Joe, we have two Magnum 2800 inverters in our rig, each on a separate run. Our kitchen loads, refer/ micro/ induction stovetop are on one run. In two years, we have never had an issue with insufficient power available. We don't boondock, so the devices are usually on shore power when we are using them, but we have fired up the micro while the fridge was running in transit with no issues. I don't think anyone has ever said I more power is bad, but your times of actually needing the extra power may not justify the upgrade costs.

Best of luck.

j

Where are you going to get almost 290 amps at 13.8 volts DC to run an inverter this size? What does the operators manual call for input amps and volts to adequately support an inverter this size?

Volts x amps = watts.

Rick
Not that hard to do…I have 8 lithiums which can provide 800 amps if needed…

For those of you with Large Hybrid Invertors, we are considering upgrading from a 2800 watt Magnum Pure Sign Invertor tp a 4000W Hybrid Pure Sine invertor.

The new rig is an "All Electric" diesel powered RV. The electric stove will be pulling power rather than the old gas stove in the new rig. This has me concerned about over wealming the electric capacity of a 2800 Watt invertor.

What other modifications would be required to complete this upgrade, Wiring? Fusing? etc.
You can have to small an inverter, but never to large. In standby mode, one inverter, rather than 2, will draw less power, so one big unit makes perfect sense.

Latest resources

Back