Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
It only took 3 years and 7 months but finally my coach rides smooth and quiet. I've been struggling with some type of rubbing or some noise in the area of the right windshield A-pillar where I thought it was wire bundles bouncing around underneath. Both left and right sides I secured the wires but still had just plastic on plastic rubbing noises. I finally noticed one of the Philips screws on the bottom wallowed out the hole in the plastic so the A pillar was not secured. I used a marker to blacken a small washer and used that, the A pillar is now secure and no longer making the rubbing noises. What a relief!!!

The other odd improvement is the ride seems much better with higher tire pressures. By chart my tire pressure should be around 90 front and 75 rear. With various mods some weight increased and I've done four corner weighs and twice now it's been recommended to run higher tire pressure vs. chart numbers for sidewall life improvements. Per my last Gaffney Freightliner four corner weigh and tech recommendation I'm running 105 front and 90 rears. It seems at the higher tire pressure the tires are balanced better and offering a smoother quieter ride. While I have zero experience with tire balancing, I wonder what pressure they use when balancing a tire, if any. I also wonder if the tire runouts (roundness) is improved at higher pressure? Regardless, the ride is simply better at the current tire pressures.

A very enjoyable ride and now quiet. It took a long time to figure out and refine but what a joy this coach is to drive.

Interesting that ride improved with increased tire pressures. I had the opposite experience.

When I began driving my KS (before I had it weighed), I inflated the tires to max 120 psi. It became a Flintstonemobile at those pressures.

We, too, have found that there is a "sweet spot" in the tire pressure range. For us, it is about 10# over the "chart pressure." On our Ventana LE, it was closer to +5 PSI over chart pressure. Not sure what to attribute it to, but when we found the "sweet spot," the ride was smooth and firm, but not harsh.

TJ

It only took 3 years and 7 months but finally my coach rides smooth and quiet. I've been struggling with some type of rubbing or some noise in the area of the right windshield A-pillar where I thought it was wire bundles bouncing around underneath. Both left and right sides I secured the wires but still had just plastic on plastic rubbing noises. I finally noticed one of the Philips screws on the bottom wallowed out the hole in the plastic so the A pillar was not secured. I used a marker to blacken a small washer and used that, the A pillar is now secure and no longer making the rubbing noises. What a relief!!!

The other odd improvement is the ride seems much better with higher tire pressures. By chart my tire pressure should be around 90 front and 75 rear. With various mods some weight increased and I've done four corner weighs and twice now it's been recommended to run higher tire pressure vs. chart numbers for sidewall life improvements. Per my last Gaffney Freightliner four corner weigh and tech recommendation I'm running 105 front and 90 rears. It seems at the higher tire pressure the tires are balanced better and offering a smoother quieter ride. While I have zero experience with tire balancing, I wonder what pressure they use when balancing a tire, if any. I also wonder if the tire runouts (roundness) is improved at higher pressure? Regardless, the ride is simply better at the current tire pressures.

A very enjoyable ride and now quiet. It took a long time to figure out and refine but what a joy this coach is to drive.
I have that rubbing noise as well. I will have to look closely at that.

@Neal, if you found peace does that mean you need a new coach?

@Neal, if you found peace does that mean you need a new coach?
I have a desire to have people look at my coach in 20 years and think how awkward this one looks in the campground :) It's funny seeing some really old coaches where I am now which feels like a throwback in history of RV's. Reminds me of the RV museum in Elkhart :)

I have that rubbing noise as well. I will have to look closely at that.
The A-pillars, in my opinion, should be secure up to the side wall and not have any play that would rub along the dash.

A couple years ago we were on some pretty rough roads and I ended up going down to 95psi in my steer axle tires thinking it would make the coach ride a little better up front. It didn't make any difference as far as I could tell so I went back to 110psi, a little lower in drive axle tires and of course lower in tag. I've never done the 4 corner weigh in, only ran over regular scales. Never been somewhere I could easy get the 4 corner weigh in or I would though.

A couple years ago we were on some pretty rough roads and I ended up going down to 95psi in my steer axle tires thinking it would make the coach ride a little better up front. It didn't make any difference as far as I could tell so I went back to 110psi, a little lower in drive axle tires and of course lower in tag. I've never done the 4 corner weigh in, only ran over regular scales. Never been somewhere I could easy get the 4 corner weigh in or I would though.
Might look into SmartWeigh, three locations with one being in FL.

Busnell is where they do it by appointment down here, or at least that would be the closest to me (90 miles). If I winter camped closer to them over there I might consider it.

Latest resources

Back