Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Rebelfaith

RVF Newbee
I’m trying to figure out what steering column would be compatible with my Ford Airex A931. It’s considered an F53 chassis although I don’t know what that means. Recently, I let someone use it and they forgot my tutorial on turning the motorhome off with the switch on the column before disengaging the key. This broke the top top of the steering column off. Tiny piece, but now impossible to start. I have it at a shop in Cedar Rapids for repair but it’s either find a replacement column or basically sign them over a blank check to get parts to repair the damaged one. Can anybody teach me about this and tell me what column will work? It doesn’t have tilt, and the shifter is up toward the center of the dash not on the column itself.

F53 refers to the chassis alone as supplied by Ford before the anything from the coach builder is attached. (See pic).

First, it is always helpful, if not necessary, to know the year, as well as he make and model of any vehicle when entering into these discussions, but I’ll guess and say this is a 1991.

Second, if I understand your situation correctly, it sounds like you may need a new ignition switch. If so this is not a huge or expensive job so it would not require a “blank check” (you should be able to get a very close estimate), and resorting to replacing the steering column would be an extreme measure.

Can you post a pic of the exact part that is broken? Or clarify that it is just part of the ignition switch in the column?

Attachments

• B7E551D8-2B54-4504-BFA6-BDAD838E0C7C.jpeg
    B7E551D8-2B54-4504-BFA6-BDAD838E0C7C.jpeg
    49.7 KB · Views: 5
It is in fact a 1991. A Ford Airex A931 to be exact. I’ve already delivered it to a shop for repairs so I can’t take a photo unfortunately. I originally expected that it simply needed an ignition switch, since when I attempted to start the motorhome, the key just turned in a circle without resistance to speak of or anything else happening. Prior to this mishap it started beautifully. The repair shop informed me that it wasn’t the ignition switch but the tip of the actual steering column or something that attaches to the top of the column broke off. They told me I can find a column for them or give them $500 up front to get parts and rebuild the one that’s in it now. I was hoping to find a column that could simply be swapped out in order to save some effort and money ultimately, but perhaps I’m totally mistaken here. It’s been a great rig. I just want to get it fixed and back home.

Yeah - it wasnt a lucky guess - I saw your post on a Ford Truck forum. Not sure which one but this one is excellent: 1968-2013 Full Size Vans - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums , and they are very good about giving quick results on mechanical issues. But really you're getting bad information. There are two parts to the ignition switch: the actual lock part that the key goes in and the little plastic box full of electrical connections that it actuates. Neither are expensive and neither are difficult to replace and neither would require replacing the entire steering column. Thats just nuts. Its possible that your column lock is broken but you don't need that anyway.

Latest resources

Back