Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
Headlights used in Newmar Motorhomes are for automobiles, they are not safe for driving at night. Lights are much higher up, driver is higher over lights. Please improve safety of your vehicles by using proper headlights such as trucks use, etc.

Yes, indeed. This is on my to do list.

It's really appalling that more thought and engineering hasn't been put into "vehicles" that cost WAY more than a Ferrari or similar. Seriously, if you think about it, sports cars like the Ferrari, MB, Mazzi, Lambo, BMW etc. are designed to support over 100mph speeds at night. Yet, the expectation of companies like Newmar, are that the RV owners really "shouldn't" drive at night. So, the headlights seem more of an after-thought just to meet the minimum requirements.

Of course, having what I feel is the majority of the RV "driver" community harping the fact that "we're too old" or "I'm too tired" to be driving at night, really doesn't help our cause, does it?

On our DS, I dropped a set of LEDs into those "Dodge Challenger" lenses which helped. But know what? Those headlight units were put in SO CRAPPY, that neither of them were aligned correctly, nor COULD THEY BE adjusted!!! I was so incredibly mad when I saw how they were mounted!! Even the "driving/fog" lights were crooked and the brackets were bonded solid to the fiberglass.

I addressed this at Newmar service...and guess what they said? "Hey, you're right...they're off, but we can't adjust them any better than what you've done. They're not off by that much."

Unbelievable!

On our DS, I dropped a set of LEDs into those "Dodge Challenger" lenses which helped. But know what? Those headlight units were put in SO CRAPPY, that neither of them were aligned correctly, nor COULD THEY BE adjusted!!! I was so incredibly mad when I saw how they were mounted!! Even the "driving/fog" lights were crooked and the brackets were bonded solid to the fiberglass.

I addressed this at Newmar service...and guess what they said? "Hey, you're right...they're off, but we can't adjust them any better than what you've done. They're not off by that much."

Unbelievable!
CaptainGizmo, I feel your pain...While the LED bulbs installed on my CanyonStar made a significant improvement, it is still subpar, due to the housings, to some aftermarket options from top end suppliers.
I was looking at replacing the Fog lights with some aftermarket Yellow fogs, something like those from Rigid, however, that project is on hold for other reasons.

D-Series PRO

When we turn on the light switch after dark. :ROFLMAO: That’s why we don’t drive after dark.;)

TJ
Oooooooh, now I’m beginning to “see the light”; no thanks to Newmar!! ?

That MUST be their intention…to keep us from driving at night. No other explanaton.

NHTSA just approved new Headlight Technology to improve safety. As most seem aware, RV's in general and Newmar in particular, have horrible headlights. Hopefully this will encourage them to move into the new century.
perhaps newmar needs to be reminded, their headlight technology may be fine for buggies, but not for their RVs. (pun intented!).

Toyota's version AHS.

I have had this on my bmw's since 2016. It has required "hacking" the led coding to enable the European mode, but works amazing!

Latest resources

Back