Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

CJMoss

RVF Newbee
I am sure you have experienced running out of hot water in the shower, or having to wait between people showering for the water to heat up.

I installed a ventless tankless water heater a couple months ago under my kitchen sink, and repurposed the oem heater space to vent out the condensation that the heater puts out. To do so, I installed a bathroom ceiling fan with a condensation switch to operate it.

We have consistently had piping hot water since that time. The only problem we have had has been with the igniter batteries (2 D Cell) needing to be replaced monthly.

Since the old water heater had a 12v switch to go from electric to propane, I knew I had a 12v DC source to work with but the water heater operates on 2 D Cell batteries (3.22v).

I went up on line and I found this cool little gadget. That reduces the voltage from the 12v source to whatever you want to adjust it to. I adjusted it to 3.22, and wired up 2 D Cell battery adapters, with hot to the one and neutral to the other and replaced my D Cell batteries with them. I flipped the existing water heater switch, and now I no longer need batteries, the igniter fires off of the onboard 12v system.

Here are some pics. If you decide to do the same conversion, and need help with what to get or how to connect it, let me know.

Attachments

• 3B27D71B-4345-4447-97BD-D4CDF9FFA29D.jpeg
    3B27D71B-4345-4447-97BD-D4CDF9FFA29D.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 32
  • 247D1123-A89E-4871-9FF3-6BEF3631343B.jpeg
    247D1123-A89E-4871-9FF3-6BEF3631343B.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 31
  • EFA2BA43-EAD7-4DD5-BECB-1262FFBF19D4.jpeg
    EFA2BA43-EAD7-4DD5-BECB-1262FFBF19D4.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 27
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 31
Is this heater mounted in the living space or anywhere that the burnt gasses (carbon monoxide) can vent into the living space?
It appears to be a gas fired appliance as I see the soft copper propane supply at the lower left of the unit. Condensation is a by product of combustion and so is carbon monoxide.
This is a potentially deadly situation if the unit is not properly vented to the outside. Additionally, the unit requires a certain amount of fresh air for combustion. It can evacuate the oxygen from a room and lead to suffocation. It’s why it is illegal to place a gas water heater in a bedroom!

Latest resources

Back