Forest River
RV Model
Palomino Puma unleashed 383ss
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
F350
Fulltimer
Yes
Since I bought my house back in '05 I've had a craptastic case of insomnia. I go to sleep easy enough, even at 25 I didn't mind being in bed by 8. I appreciate sleep. But at least every 5 out of 7 days I only sleep for 3-4hrs then I'm awake for 3-4hrs, then if the time allows I might get a 1-2hr nap before I have to get up.

I guess I was hoping 7-8hrs of driving each day would do the trick but unfortunately it did not. I found a sleep aide at one of the truck stops, 5-htp, gaba and melatonin. I had God awful nightmares the first night, not so bad the next night but now 5 nights in it doesn't do a thing for me anymore. It's 2am and I'm surfing the net.

I've tried the sleeping stuff with benadryls active ingredient in it but two nights of that and I can't think straight.

Any ideas, suggestions, etc.

I’ve not found anything that works reliably. I have a very similar sleep pattern to what you describe. I’m up at 0300 most days. I’ve concluded I need only 4 hr of sleep at this stage of my life.

I too am up at all hours. I agree with Beemer. If I am up after 3or4 hours I guess that's all I need. Good time to get some reading done. Its also a good time to read the forum.

I’ve not found anything that works reliably. I have a very similar sleep pattern to what you describe. I’m up at 0300 most days. I’ve concluded I need only 4 hr of sleep at this stage of my life.
Same with me.

I have battled insomnia for decades. Thankfully Benadryl and an OTC sleep aid help. They tend to leave me feeling groggy, but sometimes you reach a point where you just need to sleep. You may have done this already but, quit caffeine for a while. If you absolutely need it to function, no caffeine after noon. Everyone is different, but if I have 1 soda or iced tea at noon, I don't sleep at all. It's amazing how long that stuff stays in your system! Beyond that, regular exercise may help. When all else fails, meditation helped me feel a little rested even when lacking sleep. Insomnia sucks and I don't wish it on anyone. I used to function well on 4 hrs sleep. The older I get the harder that is. Good luck!

I'm in this club but it's my own fault. I decide when I'm done for the day and go to bed, it could be early. I also put myself under a lot of stress as a business owner and feel terrible when at the end of the day my productivity is crap. I'll sleep fine for the first part but wake up in the middle of the night, have to go through a routine of phone entertainment to get myself back to sleep. So for me the answer is going to bed later, forcibly! I'm also trying melatonin 12mg for the first time, and I think it helps, problem is I think it hits me more later in the morning so it's harder to get out of bed, but it's also been recommended for the covid situation.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GR9WBFY/?tag=rvf01-20

I get tired at 8pm go to sleep and as soon as the head hits the pillow I am out. But alas 2 or 3am I am awake thinking about what needs to be done. I have tried to stay in bed but not getting any more sleep so get up. I try to keep a schedule because this is supposed to help. I take a nap around noon, in my neck of the world a siesta for at most 1 hr then up again. I just look at it as normal is a personal thing.

It would be good to note that studies say computer, phone screens and TVs should be off for the last hour or so to help with sleep, just saying. For myself I have found that anything left unresolved before bed increases my chance of waking earlier.

I guess my sleep pattern isn't so crazy. While I had my house/farm/single mom I always contributed my insomnia to stress. I got plenty of exercise. I've played with the amount of caffeine, meal times, screen time and sleep aides.

When I was writing and/or going to school I loved the quiet hours I was awake. I suppose I will have to get back into my old pastimes that make midnight sleepless hours feel useful.

I'm in this club but it's my own fault. I decide when I'm done for the day and go to bed, it could be early. I also put myself under a lot of stress as a business owner and feel terrible when at the end of the day my productivity is crap. I'll sleep fine for the first part but wake up in the middle of the night, have to go through a routine of phone entertainment to get myself back to sleep. So for me the answer is going to bed later, forcibly! I'm also trying melatonin 12mg for the first time, and I think it helps, problem is I think it hits me more later in the morning so it's harder to get out of bed, but it's also been recommended for the covid situation.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GR9WBFY/?tag=rvf01-20
For those that are retired, Neal took the words out of my mouth. How about going to bed at midnight or later. If I went to bed at 8, I would be up by 2am also. Although not sleeping as much seems to be very common in older people. Perhaps related to lack of vigorous activity during the day? I don't know.

For those that are retired, Neal took the words out of my mouth. How about going to bed at midnight or later. If I went to bed at 8, I would be up by 2am also. Although not sleeping as much seems to be very common in older people. Perhaps related to lack of vigorous activity during the day? I don't know.
Hummmm. Don't think so. The work stops with the sun going down. Winter the sun sets at what 6 or 7. I get board by about 8. Don't like burning daylight so get started early. Always did my studies for my jobs on a clear head most of the time early AM. Probably a carry over from the self employed days. But I can't change the training so guess I don't try. It does change during the summer a little. I like sitting around a fire after the sun sets. That can be quite late depending on daylight savings. Little change though when it comes to sleeping thru the night. Am I old? hummm again, depends on who is talking.

Latest resources

Back