Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Installed auxiliary braking on Spartan K2 this weekend.

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

cycleguy1979

RVF Regular
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Essex
RV Length
42'
Chassis
Spartan
Engine
Cummins ISM 500 10.8 Liter
TOW/TOAD
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Classic CCSB 4x4 Duramax
Fulltimer
No
Hello everyone. Just want to give a quick heads up to anyone who needs to add the auxiliary braking system to their Diesel pusher for towing a toad.
The parts came from Spartan and cost $550. Kit included air tank, a few valves, 22' of 1/2" air line, and a bunch of brass fittings. Everything has the shark bite type connectors that you just push the air line into.

I built a bracket to mount the tank and brake valve to. Then I installed it just in front of the drive axle, against the wall of the fresh water tank bay. Worked out great. A little nerve racking, but you need to cut into the 5/8" main air line, and also the 1/2" service air line. That's it, just two lines need to be tapped into. So I laid everything out and mocked it all up. Took me all day to put this in, including going under to drill holes, measure things etc. I was probably under there 12 times.

After I got it all mounted, I had to run a 1/2" air line to the rear hitch so I can plug into that to tow. Worked out perfect. Anyone with a moderate amount of skill can do this. The only part you might need help with is the bracketry to mount the tank and valve. Since I have a metal shop this was a non-issue for me. I do stuff like this all the time.

Took it for a rip last night towing my crew cab duramax truck. Everything checks out and works perfect. Hope this helps someone down the road.

Nice write up - I was fortnate enough to buy a used coach with this work already done. What toad braking system are you using?

I have a roadmaster breakaway cylinder mounted under the hood with all the associated valves. I use an air cylinder that I built a mount for under the front driver's seat. It hooks over the brake pedal and applies pressure as you would if you were driving the truck.

I have about 50,000 trouble free miles pulling this truck behind my other bus. (other than a towbar mount ripping right off the baseplate on my truck, blue ox didn't weld it correctly). It was a handful to get it all stopped but it did happen in 2017.

Latest resources

Back