Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Ud56

RVF Regular
Wondering what size wire I should use going from shunt to battery. My TT is 30a. I have a 200ah lithium battery.

This should help. That being said, you can never go too heavy. :)

Attachments

• E47D6672-FAC5-4244-8BB5-F0CF3FD0A1A1.jpeg
    E47D6672-FAC5-4244-8BB5-F0CF3FD0A1A1.jpeg
    462.1 KB · Views: 15
Size it to your system. The 500 represents the max amps the shunt is designed for. I would use the largest wire that would accomdate any upgrades you might do to your battery system. What size wire was used for the ground wire? Maybe go one up from that.

Size it to your system. The 500 represents the max amps the shunt is designed for. I would use the largest wire that would accomdate any upgrades you might do to your battery system. What size wire was used for the ground wire? Maybe go one up from that.

Thank you. So my battery has a 200a bms so that’s the max I’d be able to pull out of the battery. Should I just size the wire to that or is that overkill? Do I need a fuse between the shunt and battery?

If your total battery bank is 200 amp, then size it to that or higher. I like over kill when it comes to cable, especially if the run is not long and it will not cost that much :)

A fuse should not be needed. Generally speaking, fuses are only put on positive feeds.

Hope this helps.
Rich

If your total battery bank is 200 amp, then size it to that or higher. I like over kill when it comes to cable, especially if the run is not long and it will not cost that much :)

A fuse should not be needed. Generally speaking, fuses are only put on positive feeds.

Hope this helps.
Rich
Thank for taking the time to help. I think I may be overthinking the situation. I have a 30amp a/c service on my TT and a 200ah battery with a 200a bms. I do not have an inverter. I might add a second battery in the future. I was trying to size the wire to the shunt and not the system. There is no way I would ever be able to pull 500amps out of my TT. The most I figure if I turned on everything I possibly could turn on at once would be about 150amps. So in that case I should size the wire to that or one size bigger. Makes sense?

I agree, without an inverter, it is much less likely to pull that many amps. I don’t know what you have in your TT, but I would think the highest draw might be a slide motor as most other items would be lights or fans.

I still like the idea of going one size bigger for future proofing your system. And size it to the battery, not the system.

I agree, without an inverter, it is much less likely to pull that many amps. I don’t know what you have in your TT, but I would think the highest draw might be a slide motor as most other items would be lights or fans.

I still like the idea of going one size bigger for future proofing your system. And size it to the battery, not the system.
I don’t have any slides. So if I size it to the battery to the 200a bms that’s the most I can pull. It will probably let me pull more though. I don’t know if I add. Second 200ah battery with the same bms does that mean I now can pull 200a from each battery or will the act as one? I put the question. To the battery manufacturer but haven’t heard back yet. So if I size to battery then I’m looking at 2/0 wire,correct. Thanks again and sorry to be a pain but I just want to get it right.

Latest resources

Back