Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Interesting article on company developing an electric class 3 truck and motorhome chassis.

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Pretty amazing how little it takes to make an electric chassis

Pretty amazing how little it takes to make an electric chassis

Yepir. No exhaust system. No transmission, no belts, no hoses, no rear end, no fuel tank. Even the 12 volt battery is a third of the size. Makes it simple. And lots of extra storage in a car or SUV at least.

I would think this chassis will make it into the delivery type bread truck roll first. RV’s will come as high end motorhome integrators show interest. Want to bet that Newell and Newmar will be the first?

Just a guess. Who knows.

I will likely buy a gasser to the very end.

I will likely buy a gasser to the very end.

Nothing wrong with that. Proven technology and many are comfortable with it. But there are also a ton of us who have gotten used to driving electric and can never go back. The manufacturers will be catering to us as the technology allows. And I’m sure it won’t be cheap. LOL :).

Cheers.

This morning, while I was out putting wood in the dragon, I was thinking about all those people who recently were stuck on the freezing highway in Virginia. The whole affair was bad, but what would it have been like if all those vehicles had been electric cars instead?

Class 3 -- is that equivalent to the Ford/Chevy Gasser chassis?

This morning, while I was out putting wood in the dragon, I was thinking about all those people who recently were stuck on the freezing highway in Virginia. The whole affair was bad, but what would it have been like if all those vehicles had been electric cars instead?
An EV is a pretty good place to be in those situations. For example. If we select camp mode on our car it will keep us toasty warm (or cool in summer) and we can watch Netflix on the screen. The car will use about 18 to 22 percent of the battery in 24 hours. You could probably sit there for days. An EV doesn’t use much power just sitting there. It’s the motive forces that suck back the power.

Those new Electric ford lightning, hummer, silverado, they could probably sit in a traffic jam for a week staying toasty warm (or cool) inside.

Cheers.

An EV is a pretty good place to be in those situations. For example. If we select camp mode on our car it will keep us toasty warm (or cool in summer) and we can watch Netflix on the screen.

Cheers.
No degradation to the battery in those cold temps?

No degradation to the battery in those cold temps?
Yah for sure. Up until today we have been hanging around minus 20 to minus 24 at night and a whack of snow. Ugh. We count on losing about 35 -40 percent of range at those temps although it’s actually probably a little less cause everybody slows down when the roads are bad. Our most common road trip is 470 kilometres. In summer we tend to take a 10 or 15 minute pee and coffee refill and Supercharge break. In winter that break is 10 minutes longer or we’ll just stop for an extra 10 or 15 minutes at another supercharger. The car is pretty good at predicting all this stuff as long as you use the navigation feature. It’s pretty seemless.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back