Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

TJ&LadyDi

RVF "Dinosaur"
A recent thread on this forum discussed a 300A fuse blowing in the inverter circuit and the need to carry a spare fuse. I finally got around to checking the value of the fuse in our all-electric 2018 MADP and found that it uses a 350A , not a 300A. Of course, I found that out after picking up a spare 300A fuse, but that's another story.

In looking around for JLLN-350A fuses, I found the OEM Littelfuse version selling new in the $80-$100 range. I also found a listing on Digi-Key (https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=JLLN 350A) for a Riedon JLLN-350A selling new for $30. I checked all the specs and that fuse should be a very workable replacement for the Littelfuse version...and, at about 1/3 the price. So, I ordered up a pair of them at that price from Digital-Key (PN 696-1830-ND- $30.28 each + about $5 shipping for the pair).

They arrived today and I was anxious to compare them physically to the Littelfuse version. Imagine my surprise when I opened the shipping container and found a pair of...wait for it...Littelfuse JLLN-350A fuses that had been substituted in. Checking the Digi-Key website, I found that the Littelfuse JLLN-350A (PN F11994-ND) lists for $80.60 each. Now, I'm not complaining about the substitution, nor can I say that anyone else ordering the Riedon version might get the same substitution, but I was looking forward to seeing how the Riedon version compared physically to the Littelfuse. Next time, I guess.

TJ

@TJ&LadyDi … I also checked and have a 350 amp installed in my coach. So I will order one of these and see if I get the same "upgrade" as you.

FLSteve

Glad you checked! Everyone should check the fuse value BEFORE they buy a spare. I learned that the hard way!

It looks like the newer coaches (and especially the all-electric models) are now using the JLLN-350A fuse. BTW, JLLN is a spec for fast-blowing fuses and that's what we need in our coaches to prevent wiring damage from an overload.

The fuse holder on our coach (and, I think in many others) is on the side wall of the battery compartment. You will see large, red wires going underneath a snap-off plastic cover. There will actually be two sets of red wires (one set smaller than the other) running under plastic fuse covers. The 300A or 350A fuse is connected to the larger wire set.

I found it pretty easy to pop the plastic cover off and use my cell phone camera to take a close-up of the fuse. Then, you can view it at your convenience in a better location. The amperage value will be found on the white band circling the middle of the fuse body, as well as being stamped on the metal fuse body itself, adjacent to the white band.

Some of the 300A/350A fuses are unplated copper and others are silver-plated, I don't think it makes any difference as long as they are spec'd JLLN-350A Class T. The ones I got from Digi-Key were silver-plated.

TJ

Color me stupid, I just checked and my 2017 VTDP is a 350A as well. $50 out the car window again!

I personally would not have a problem using the 300A purchased if in a bind but I ordered 2 x correct ones mentioned above. Thanks TJ!!

Mine is 350 also.

Placed my order too... They are going to think there is a run on them....

I personally would not have a problem using the 300A purchased if in a bind but I ordered 2 x correct ones mentioned above. Thanks TJ!!
Nor, would I...in a pinch. You just have to be careful with the loads on the inverter. I feel better having the correct size though.

With several people ordering them from Digit-Key, it will be interesting to see what shows up. I hope everyone is ordering the Riedon version at the lower cost. Even if you do get the Riedon JLLN 350A fuse, it will be fine; the specs are the same as the Littelfuse version.

TJ

Well perhaps it's my lucky day. Turns out my 2015 Ventana has the 300A version. Anyone with unwanted JLLN-300A care to make me a deal?

Anyone with unwanted JLLN-300A care to make me a deal?

@TJ&LadyDi should have first dibbs to offload his. If anyone wants mine let me know and I'll wheel and deal with you too, i.e. pay what I paid for it plus postage :)

Latest resources

Back