Forest River
RV Model
Wildcat Fifth-wheel
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2019 Ford F-250.
Fulltimer
Yes
I’m trying to decide just how long of a fiver I should get. I originally wanted our retirement home to be not over 37 foot so that we could bet into more parks and locations. But, as we shop and decide just what’s important to us it looks like we would be happier in a 40’ or even 44’. Plan on getting the fiver first then the truck to pull it. Other than the obvious street corners in town and backing into a parking spot is there much difference in driving with the extra 7 (+ - ) foot back there?

I guess on a side question is it hard to find RV parks with plenty of pull through sites?

Longer is easier to control,but does limit certain parking situations, or at least complicate the process

I have personally never had the luck or privilege to have a pull-through site. If your confident backing that thing in, go for it. But as you said, you're going to be limited on where you can go, like national parks and forests.

I have a 43’ open range, pulls great and maneuvering is actually pretty easy, you’ve just got to watch your clearances all the time. My only issue is that the tail (behind the rear axle) is so long, gotta be aware of scraping going in and out of driveways and that tail hitting something in a turn.
Once that monster is parked and set up it is awesome!!

As far as pull thrus go, we find them readily available wherever we go. We rarely make reservations ahead of time.

What I have found more often is poorly designed pull thru that are more suited to smaller motor homes and not for large 5th wheels. I have seen roads between lots no wider than 10ft, which makes it very hard to maneuver, especially when campers have their vehicles and toys all over their site and further reducing your exit maneuver.

More often I would want something on the parameter that is back in, just for the ease of exiting.

The longer it is the more attention to detail and the more chance of something going wrong. I have a 38' and would not want anything more. If I could get what I needed with less I would.

Latest resources

Back