Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

JollyepicAdventures

RVF Newbee
Sorry if this is has been asked before, but I couldn't find anything in the forums.

I recently purchased a 2017 Keystone Hideout. There is a little plug on the front of the RV next to a sticker that says "Solar Ready." Does that mean I can just buy a panel and plug it into that little plug? It can't be that easy, right? No inverter? No controller?

Solar ready means that either a conduit (hopefully) or a wire ( probably wrong size) has been installed from roof to the location for a charger controller to be installed. You need to supply all of the components, as well as figure out the best way to arrange it.

This was the cheapest way the manufacturer could add another bullet point to the sales information sheet. They all use this tactic.

Sorry if this is has been asked before, but I couldn't find anything in the forums.

I recently purchased a 2017 Keystone Hideout. There is a little plug on the front of the RV next to a sticker that says "Solar Ready." Does that mean I can just buy a panel and plug it into that little plug? It can't be that easy, right? No inverter? No controller?
Your Keystone being solar ready with that plug on the front is a joke. I had the same thing on my Grand Design. It is just a plug that goes directly to the battery and has an inline fuse for whatever amps is stated on the plug. Mine was a plug, two crappy wires and a 10 amp inline fuse that went to the battery.
I disconnected it and ran my own solar directly from the roof.

Latest resources

Back