Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
I have a few weeks left in this several month trip and this is the first experience with Starlink. Anyone looking at Starlink for RV is probably first surprised by the cost. Initial cost in buying the equipment and then $135/month for the service, which can be paused.

Is it worth it? YES

The Starlink speeds have varied by location and we all have to remember, this is very early in this form of Internet and Starlink satellites continue to be deployed. For where we are today it is impressive. I know people on the east coast using it, I thought it was more focused to the left coast, but people are getting great results all over the US. Where I am now, in Pagosa Springs, CO has been the best speeds seen to date at 200-300 down consistently. Yeah, some slow downs at times, but overall it's outstanding. What makes it even better is it appears that Starlink is not futzing with how the bandwidth is used like cellular companies have done. There is no limiting that I've experienced of the type of video you can get, I'm getting 4K with no issues, surprisingly. It seems Starlink's goal is to provide Internet without getting in your bits (sts) to affect your streaming.

Secondly, it's UNLIMITED DATA. This itself justifies the price. What made me realize this is when my AT&T prepaid 5G quit on me last night. 10 days into the billing cycle with a 100 GB plan and yep, I'm done, 100 GB hit. I watched two football games, at least, updated all of the latest Apple iOS and Mac updates, and the usual usage I do. I could have been smarter and taken AT&T out of play and used Starlink but I was enjoying, for the first time, great 5G AT&T coverage from this $55/mo prepaid plan (which I'm not sure I'll be keeping). AT&T changed this plan for new customers to be $90/mo for 100 GB I believe. So this puts Starlink costs in perspective.

So again, yes, I believe Starlink is worth the cost and the $135/mo is justified. This of course depends on your Internet usage and whether you want to stream TV/movies in your RVing lifestyle, have for backup communications (wi-fi calling, etc.) and all that Internet brings us today in this age of tech. If you're on the fence, consider this a nudge, order it.

I agree with Neal. I’m slowly removing all the Dish TV hardware and wiring, and it is lots of it inside and outside of the coach.

Bought our coach used 2 years ago, has the stationary high def dish on the roof and the traveling dish. We haven’t used either of these for TV. Would love to take these off and free up some roof space.
We have only had Starlink for a couple months of use, but found it to be a game changer. It is pricy but the unlimited data is one big thing in its favor. Dropped our FMCA plan and are keeping our ATT 100GB plan for backup when in areas without a clear view of the sky.

I'm not traveling enough to leave Starlink active, but I have it in a bay, knowing that I can activate it for a month if I'm in a bad cell spot.

For how long can you deactivate it? Is there a charge each time it is activated and deactivated? I don’t remember if it requires attaching anything to the rv roof.

I agree with Neal. I’m slowly removing all the Dish TV hardware and wiring, and it is lots of it inside and outside of the coach.
Did or are you removing the sat dish from the roof?? If so are you leaving the heavy mount up there, or planning on removing it and filing in the holes. I too am going 100% streaming via Starlink and using the cellular as backup, bailed out on Dish but haven't pulled the exterior components yet.

For how long can you deactivate it? Is there a charge each time it is activated and deactivated? I don’t remember if it requires attaching anything to the rv roof.
Don’t yet know how long it can be deactivated, Starlink’s site doesn’t give a limit.
No charge to activate, beyond the standard charge for the month.
No charge to deactivate.

I have no intention of removing my Dish hardware. Never know if I may want to use it or the next owner.

Currently in a beautiful CG south of Rapid City, SD. Wonderful place but Wi-Fi is severely lacking. Not entirely their fault as options are limited. This really has me leaning towards a Starlink unit.

Parked next to a guy this week at the KOA in Ogallala and watched him deploy his Starlink unit. Simple and easy.

One very important note to add to Neal's information. With starlink for RVs. Because you may travel into a sold out area, you can be throttled if your presence effects service.

I have not had any issues to date with this.

Latest resources

Back