Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Is the engine shutdown relay part of the ECM?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

TJ&LadyDi

RVF "Dinosaur"
Since replacing the ignition switch didn’t fix the problem of the engine not shutting off in our 2018 Mountain Aire, I’m moving to the next step. As I understand the shut-down circuit, a relay activates a solenoid that closes the fuel valve, shutting down the engine. Does anyone know the location of that relay? Is it part of the Engine Control Module (ECM)? And, if so, if the relay is bad, is it replaceable or does the ECM need to be replaced?

I have looked in the ECM and find nothing that is obviously labeled as the relay in question. And, it doesn’t appear that anything in the ECM is plug-in replaceable. Am I missing something here? Could the relay be located external to the ECM.

I guess the next step if the relay is not bad is checking/replacing the solenoid-activated fuel shutoff valve. I have yet to find the valve location, but that’s also on my to-do list.

Any help with locating the relay and/or fuel shutoff valve will be sincerely appreciated. Thanks.

TJ

Here is a snippet from the ISX12 DIagram

1626668524732.png

The shutdown valve is the little square block with a single wire going to it on the side of the fuel manifold, above the fuel filter. It is basicially an electro-magnet solenoid that holds open a valve.

This is the part on the ISX15

Thanks, @redbaron; that helps. Now, I’m thinking that the shutdown valve is likely the culprit. I think it is time for a visit to a Cummins service shop.

TJ

Some positive news!

Spartan called this morning (an unexpected follow-up to our previous conversations) and re-affirmed that we still have an active warranty case on this issue. And, they pointed us to an authorized service center in our local area to get the problem solved.

We will be dropping the coach off there next Monday and they will work us into their service schedule as soon as possible. Fair enough! Looking forward to finally getting this problem fixed.

TJ

Excellent news. Keep us posted on what they determine which/what is issue. FWIW-I was going to suggest you NOT try to fix this yourself, aside from the tight quarters, the fuel pressures are very high, and that needs to be released prior to opening up the system. Aren't MH;s the crowning jewel in our senior years?

Well, we dropped the coach off at the Spartan service center this afternoon and will let the pro wrenches solve the problem. @Neal and a few others will enjoy knowing that the local (40 miles away), authorized Class 1 Spartan service center is named “Freightliner Northwest.” Who knew? They actually do warranty work on Spartan and Freightliner chassis’, Cummins engines and Allison transmissions, so all the Newmar-related engine/chassis/drivetrain issues are covered. And, they are certified to work on motorhomes. Wish I would have known about them sooner, as I was pleased with the first contact. They were a pleasure to deal with and seem to know what they are doing.

While we didn’t have an actual “service appointment,” they said they should be able to work us into their schedule in the next couple of days. And, I was promised that as soon as the problem is identified, they will call me, even if we have to wait for parts to arrive. I think that’s excellent service. Looking forward to getting this issue behind us.

TJ

Last edited:
ANOTHER UPDATE!

Wouldn’t you know it; despite several attempts, the engine shut-down failure has not occurred for the techs working on the coach. Arghhhhh!

Spartan is balking on paying for any more diagnostic work under warranty unless the failure recurs; and, I can understand that.

I just got off the phone with a senior tech (“Jeff”) at Freightliner Northwest who is caught between a strong desire to solve the problem and Spartan not wanting to pay for any more diagnostics. I was impressed with his commitment to get to the bottom of the problem and told him to keep working on it. If Spartan won’t cover it under warranty, I’ll pay for the work myself!

”Jeff” and I spent 20 minutes on the phone, discussing the conditions under which the failures usually occur and any observations I have on what other symptoms have occurred. As a result, he felt there were some other possibilities they could look at; some of which may involve replacing parts that Spartan probably won’t pay for. My response was “Do it!”

So, on Monday, the techs will—once again—try to get the shut-down problem to recur. If it does, they will do additional diagnostics that Spartan will likely cover. If they can’t, we’ll go down the parts replacement trail. Hopefully, we’ll get this problem resolved; one way or another.

Motorhomes are an invention of the Devil!

TJ

Motorhomes are an invention of the Devil!
RV = Repairs / Recreation / Repairs / Recreation / Maintenance / Repairs---cycle continues.

@TJ&LadyDi I am of the opinion having @Neal fly out to where the coach is and having him perform an exorcism ritual of sorts that has probably been perfected on his own solo adventures (think snow) to rid that MADP of the devil. You would not call me crazy hopefully if it included laying pineapple slices around the MADP waiting for Dominos to arrive. just brainstorming all possibilities.

Latest resources

Back