RVF Regular
RV Year
RV Make
Crossroads Cruiser
RV Length
27ft
TOW/TOAD
5th
Hi all, I'm a newbie. We just bought a 2013 Roadco 5th wheel 27rkx we were sold a extended warr. that covers the appliances and other systems. What I started to wonder is, how many of you long timers had to replace a 2 way fridge,heater/water heater,stove ect.. It seems like some of this stuff last?? We looked at TrLrs from the 90's that had the original appliances. Did I waste my money??? Do you have to worry or do these things last longer than 12 years ? The warr. if for 3yrs
Thanks
TB

These RV extended warranties, or service plans, are really just general insurance policies Bob. Most of them are resold by the dealer (after he adds a huge profit) to you. I have heard of a 3 year service plan on an RV costing anywhere from $900 to over $4,000.

The good news is most of them are prorated so if not used you can get some money back, as long as you don't keep them the whole term. You might consider letting it run for maybe 6 months and if nothing goes wrong cashing it out and getting most of your money back.

These RV extended warranties, or service plans, are really just general insurance policies Bob. Most of them are resold by the dealer (after he adds a huge profit) to you. I have heard of a 3 year service plan on an RV costing anywhere from $900 to over $4,000.

The good news is most of them are prorated so if not used you can get some money back, as long as you don't keep them the whole term. You might consider letting it run for maybe 6 months and if nothing goes wrong cashing it out and getting most of your money back.
Thanks for the comeback Joe. I'll have to check on a prorating I have to call the dealer they didn't tell me about the other deductible which would lower the cost. $2400 it cost me

What you will find, if they are totally honest with you, is that the plan probably cost them about $1400 and they upcharged you.

For most people, these extended warranties are not worth it. For some people, they will be worth it. If it turned out to be "worth it" for most people, the insurance companies would soon be bankrupt.

My experience with RV appliances: I had a houseboat that was more like a floating RV. The (RV) fridge lasted for 25 years, the water heater for 30. I currently own a 5th wheel that was built in 1994 (Alpenlite). Its fridge lasted 15 years, and the water heater lasted 21 years. Its furnace quit after 22 years, but I was able to fix it by replacing the sail switch, ignitor and control board. That was 5 years ago. I currently own a truck camper that was built in 1987. Its fridge lasted 23 years and its water heater is still chugging along. Its water pump lasted 30 years.

I have owned three travel trailers, two 5th wheels, one truck camper and that houseboat over the past 31 years. I was a fulltimer for 8 years on the houseboat and 4 years in the Alpenlite 5th wheel, but the latter is stationary (on my property). Although I only lived on the Alpenlite for 4 years, I have owned it for 12 years and the fridge has been running 100% of that time (the new fridge, which was installed when I bought it in 2009). That fridge is still working fine.

The rest of them had all been used sporadically, maybe for a total of two months out of any given year. Several of the travel trailers and the other 5th wheel weren't owned long enough to know how long their appliances lasted, although nothing broke on them while I owned them. But when things do break, I fix them myself. I have never had a stove break. Even the a/c in the Alpenlite still works well, after 27 years.

As a general rule, I don't buy extended warranties on anything. I did have one on a motorcycle, but the original owner had purchased it and I could have it transferred to my name for $40, so I went ahead and did that. I never needed it though, so it was a wasted $40. For that little amount of money, I figured it was worth it just for the peace of mind.

Last edited:
For most people, these extended warranties are not worth it. For some people, they will be worth it. If it turned out to be "worth it" for most people, the insurance companies would soon be bankrupt.

My experience with RV appliances: I had a houseboat that was more like a floating RV. The (RV) fridge lasted for 25 years, the water heater for 30. I currently own a 5th wheel that was built in 1994 (Alpenlite). Its fridge lasted 15 years, and the water heater lasted 21 years. Its furnace quit after 22 years, but I was able to fix it by replacing the sail switch, ignitor and control board. That was 5 years ago. I currently own a truck camper that was built in 1987. Its fridge lasted 23 years and its water heater is still chugging along. Its water pump lasted 30 years.

I have owned three travel trailers, two 5th wheels, one truck camper and that houseboat over the past 31 years. I was a fulltimer for 8 years on the houseboat and 4 years in the Alpenlite 5th wheel, but the latter is stationary (on my property). Although I only lived on the Alpenlite for 4 years, I have owned it for 12 years and the fridge has been running 100% of that time (the new fridge, which was installed when I bought it in 2009). That fridge is still working fine.

The rest of them had all been used sporadically, maybe for a total of two months out of any given year. Several of the travel trailers and the other 5th wheel weren't owned long enough to know how long their appliances lasted, although nothing broke on them while I owned them. But when things do break, I fix them myself. I have never had a stove break. Even the a/c in the Alpenlite still works well, after 27 years.

As a general rule, I don't buy extended warranties on anything. I did have one on a motorcycle, but the original owner had purchased it and I could have it transferred to my name for $40, so I went ahead and did that. I never needed it though, so it was a wasted $40. For that little amount of money, I figured it was worth it just for the peace of mind.
Thanks, that's kinda what I was thinking. I started looking at older trlrs and the appliances looked aged with the units. The 5th wheel we just got is only 8yrs old. It was used but looks and smells like it was well maintained. I think i'll ask for my money back especially since no one replied saying they used their warrenity. I sent request for pricing from 2 other companies, but I think I'll roll the dice.
Thanks for your insight gibsito
TB

Wow, great info, thanks!

We bought a nearly 7-yo Winnebago DP in 2012, sold it in 2018, never had any major appliance trouble (except for something really small on fridge, can’t recall what). We DID have very expensive issues with the air system on the engine, and constant issues with the leveling jacks, The warranty covered very little - Wholesale warranty, a real racket.
We just bought a warranty on our 2014 Newmar, against my wishes, but hubby wanted peace of mind. My personal philosophy is never buy warranties (except on cell phones and tablets - totally worth it for me ?) over a lifetime, the money you save will more than cover the cost of any failure.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back