RV Make
Jayco Greyhawk Prestige
RV Model
31FP
RV Length
35.5 ft
Fulltimer
No
I was told by our dealer maintenance/repair shop NO WATER AT ALL in your tanks while driving. BUT HECK— I want to use the toilet if I need to (my husband is driving and my daughter and I are passengers). Even if we stop, I want to use MY toilet, wash my hands afterwards, etc. So is there ANY safe amount of water we can travel with in the tanks? We are going from MI to IOWA. It’s a 5-6 hour trip in easy traffic, more of the traffic around Chicago is bad.

I travel with 2/3 to a full tank of water, especially on multi-day trips. But check with Jayco. They may be referring to the ability of their tank supports to hold up under the weight bouncing down the road. Some trailers have had their tanks fall out on the road, due to poor support brackets.

Last edited:
Most motorhome owners tow something way heavier then water so ignore that guys uninformed advice. If you cant use your own banos you might as well stay in hotels and use gas stations.

Been using our 2016 Redhawk 26xd since new with full tanks while on the road since new. No issues. Note, unless you install a shut off valve on your overfill vent line it will siphone some water out while driving. Alternatively, you can leave the pump off and a sink faucet open while driving and it will help reduce the siphone effect.

Why have a fresh water tank if you can not haul water in the tank???

Maybe he knows more than he is telling you about the RV's quality.

I might look at how the tank was suspended/Reinforced before I did as I pleased.

I keep a 1/3 tank on the road.

Don’t know about Prestige, but some trailers have had the water tank fall out. Check the history and see if anyone had problems with your unit.

We travel with 3/4 full water tank.

I have also heard of some TT with issues around tank supports, but not sure of how widespread the issue is. Was there any context to his advice, like was he specifically talking about travel in winter with below freezing temps? It might make sense if he was worried about a freezing issue.

The other issue that comes to mind is tow vehicle. If he was concerned you were at max range of you safe tow capacity and he knew that adding fluids and camping gear would put you over.

Best of luck

Just looked up your rig, I would not think a Class C this size would have any issue with using installed tanks. Most Class C folks we talk to in CG run their rigs the same as we run our Class A. Have water onboard incase you have to boondock for a night and keep waste tanks low to maximize duration a availability. You will get plenty of opinions online, but fastest way to real knowledge is to contact the manufacture customer service folks and hear if from the horses mouth. If there are limitations, they should be able to explain why they exist.

Latest resources

Back