Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

matt4sure

RVF Regular
I purchased a 2016 Jeep Wrangler JK. It came with an aftermarket bumper. It is attached to the frame with 8 bolts, four on each side. The bumper has heavy duty (3/4 inch) D-rings. My question is, is this bumper suitable for flat towing by connecting directly to the D-rings? Or do I need to step it up and purchase a separate base plate?

Matt

There are some aftermarket bumpers that are supposed to be tow rated, your best bet is to find the make and model of your bumper and contact the mfg for their specs on tow ability.

Towing from the D rings, if it was even possible, would not be a good idea, but you can get tow bar mounts that bolt to the bumper. But unless the bumper is a heavy duty (heavy gauge, well made) item, towing from the bumper alone is not amgood idea either.

So I’d check with the bumper manufacturer and ask them if its designed to mount a tow bar to it. Either way the d-rings are probably good enough for your safety cables but not a tow bar (I’ve never seen one that would mount to D rings anyway).

I used bumper mounts but made spacers to go between the inside of the bumber and the front cross member and through-bolted the mounts so its actually pulling from the cross member and not the bumper.

+1 on find make/model and verify with manufacturer. The forces applied during towing can be very significant, in particular during emergency braking. You don't want to guess or assume IMO.

Latest resources

Back