Chassis
N/A
Engine
N/A
TOW/TOAD
8,200 Lbs
Fulltimer
No
Can anyone tell me if Jeep fixed the death wobble in the 2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk. I just bought a new trailhawk to tow and have been reading about the Death Wobble and can’t find anything about the Death Wobble in the 2021 Cherokee. It seems that if this is an issue Jeep would have addressed in in the Owners Manual, but I can’t find anything. Thanks for helping.

The death wobble in the cherokee was fixed. This was a steering gearbox issue.

Ditto x2. That is my understanding as well. I have a 2015 and had to have the "fix" installed. So far no issues.

I thought I remember it had to do with electric steering and the fix was a harness that kept it powered wile towing? Maybe there were several causes? Chrysler is pretty good at sweeping stuff under the rug - one problem comes to mind was the tranny/transfer case firmware update that when applied the wrong way it disabled the ability to go into 4WD. When I bought my WK used, it had this problem, reflashed it properly and all was good with that.

You may be right that they found a fix for the electric steering ... I used the term gearbox, but I am not sure where along the path it was.

In my 2020 JLUR, I had the old aluminum gear box replaced with a newer steel version. It is an electric assist with a manual gear box still. No hydraulics from engine, all from electric.

I am not sure how the WK and newer are done.

The Cherokee has been fixed and it's an electronic steering issue and the harness keeps it activated. Just make sure your's has the harness installed. Need to keep the battery charged also which is an easy fix. I suggest staying away from a Grand Cherokee at this point (someone recently posted the company now doesn't reco the harness???) since there's been issues with the wiring harness installation. This is just not a Jeep problem but others with electronic steering have experienced the problem (Equinox comes to mind). The dampening effect of the former hydraulic systems worked on the issue.
I love my Grand Cherokee and haven't experienced it yet in over 15K miles of towing. I've read using bungie cords on the steering wheel and attached to the seat has worked for some which I guess helps with dampening and I might try this if we experience a problem.

We have a 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk. No problems towing ours. I would assume the 2021 would be the same.

Latest resources

Back