RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana LE
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2020 Jeep Rubicon
We did our research on buying a Jeep Rubicon 4XE Hybrid electric/gas motor vehicle this is what we concluded and why we didn’t. My thoughts were a Hybrid that would get around 100 miles per charge would make perfect sense but a full battery-powered car doesn’t make sense to me. A few years ago we ice storm and lost power for 11 days so what would do if we had a battery-powered car only?

1. The Hybrid gets 25 miles per charge on electric which we feel is not enough. Our thought was to use it running around town and the gas motor on longer trips.
  2. The additional weight decreases EPA gas mileage rating by 2 miles per gallon compared to the Jeep with the same engine without the weight of the batteries.
  3. We calculated how much power it would take to charge the battery from zero to full charge at the electric rates in my town and was 94 cents.
  4. The difference in price between gas only and hybrid was $11,000 but you get a $7500 rebate so the real difference is 3500 dollars
  5. The batteries are warranted for 8 years BUT at eight years they only have to hold 25% of the charge that they did new.
  6. Jeep can NOT tell me what the replacement cost of the batteries would be.
  7. No fault of the Jeep but it would have to be set up to tow behind our motor home which isn’t cheap to set up.
I'm not against Hybrids and if I could get even 50+ miles on a charge it would probably reduce my vehicle gas usage to probably less than a tank a month. Our electricity is produced from a coal-fired plant there is no way for me to know how much pollution I'm not creating.

We are going to stick with our 2020 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon for a few more years till milage on the hybirds increase but we are not interested in an all eletric car.

Latest resources

Back