Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2022 GMC Canyon AT4
Fulltimer
No
From the FMCA Diesel RV Club on Facebook.

EDITOR’S NOTE: The California Recreational Vehicle Dealers Association (CalRVDA) issued the following communication this morning (Aug. 11), in which officials for the state association request financial assistance in its continued fight with the California Resources Board (CARB) as the agency seeks to implement policies that would be harmful to conducting RV business in the Golden State.
Dear Colleagues:
Nobody doubts that the way we conduct business has been forever changed – from how we deal with employees to what kind of products we will be allowed to take to market. The California Recreational Vehicle Dealers Association (CalRVDA) has been here to serve you for many years and wants to continue looking out for your best interest.
CalRVDA has been involved in the removal of the required permit for a diesel motorhome to enter the state. This would have required an inspection and placed a limit of no more than a three-day stay in California.
We are currently working hard against the California Resources Board (CARB), which is trying hard to eliminate our ability to sell auxiliary combustion power plants with RVs. That’s right! CARB is trying hard to outlaw the generator. Your customers will simply go out of state to get the same motorhome with a generator and bring it right back.
CalRVDA has also been holding educational conventions and keeping our eye out for issues that are already occurring or may occur in the future.
But CalRVDA needs your help. As you know, it has been very tough to run an association in these times. CalRVDA is an association that runs very conservatively, with a 2020 revenue of only $80,915 and expenses at $124,620.
We are asking for you to make a donation to the CalRVDA association. Joey Shields, Steve Richardson, and myself, David Tenney, have started off by making a $10,000 donation each.
Our businesses have prospered in spite of the terrible conditions due to Covid. Being aware and able to respond makes the difference.
Sincerely,
David Tenney
President, CalRVDA
Joey Shields
Past President, CalRVDA

Yikes! I, too, thought I’d “heard everything,” but requiring a permit to enter California with a diesel motorhome and limiting the stay to three days is over the top! What happens to residents who currently own diesel motorhomes and/or have one of those dreaded generators?

I guess that means us California “Native Sons and Daughters” who now live in another state won’t be going back for class reunions if that craziness ever gets implemented! Not sure we’d be going back anyway, the that would ensure it.

TJ

Last edited:
TJ, with the fuel prices and rv park prices, three days might be all I could afford. My fear is this is only the beginning. I'm waiting for the mandate that X% of motorhomes will have to be battery operated.

TJ, with the fuel prices and rv park prices, three days might be all I could afford. My fear is this is only the beginning. I'm waiting for the mandate that X% of motorhomes will have to be battery operated.
I don’t think we’ll see such a “mandate” in our lifetime (unless you are waaaaayyyyyy younger than us). I do expect to see electric motorhomes enter the marketplace in the not-to-distant future though. My guess is that there will be some “incentives” offered, however, like tax credits, etc. Only time will tell.

TJ

Being a native hardens one's reaction to things like this. I simply shrug and say "of course"...the craziness is all around us and yet they can't seem to fix a pothole, and as mentioned here already, RV parks are charging over a $100 per night (and they are full!) But hey, you can't beat the weather ?

I find it interesting California would go to such lengths to target a handful of generators on RVs. Does anyone running that State really think that has anything to do with the air quality in their large cities?

I live in LA. I hate it but we have a business that can’t be moved. Nothing surprises me anymore.

One of many reasons why we left Calif, and hubs is a Native! Crazy. Idiotic. Off Balance.
I'm sad that the rest of my family and our son still live in the SF Bay Area.

Latest resources

Back