Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
I love raspberries in my oatmeal as part of my diet plan. I vary the berries from blueberries to blackberries but raspberries are my favorite. The problem is around 2 days after you get them home, having rinsed them off and then put them in the frig, they start to get fuzzy. I consulted my resident Martha Stewart (@ARD) and she found a process of cleaning them, soaking them in the sink I believe with a vinegar, I just used water, then drying them before storing them. I realized they will never dry as the berries seem to always have their juice but I gave them time on and then between paper towels. The next trick is storing them in sealable jars so I got two types, the ones below are the winners for me. Love them. So far the berries are behaving and I'm enjoying them without the shaving cream flavor.

jars.png

she found a process of cleaning them, soaking them in the sink I believe with a vinegar, I just used water, then drying them before storing them
That’s how my grandma taught me. You gotta put some white vinegar in there @Neal but the soaking will allow all the crud to fall to the bottom of sink or bowl. Then give a good rinse and lay them all out on paper towels and make sure they are completely dry before storing.

When home I wash most fruits in dilute vinegar. It helps make grape turn to raisins with no mold.
Ahhh, natural raisins with no chemicals, etc. added. Yum. I always dry and air for a while before refrigerating.

Berries I do not wash until ready to eat.

I love raspberries in my oatmeal as part of my diet plan. I vary the berries from blueberries to blackberries but raspberries are my favorite. The problem is around 2 days after you get them home, having rinsed them off and then put them in the frig, they start to get fuzzy. I consulted my resident Martha Stewart (@ARD) and she found a process of cleaning them, soaking them in the sink I believe with a vinegar, I just used water, then drying them before storing them. I realized they will never dry as the berries seem to always have their juice but I gave them time on and then between paper towels. The next trick is storing them in sealable jars so I got two types, the ones below are the winners for me. Love them. So far the berries are behaving and I'm enjoying them without the shaving cream flavor.

View attachment 13439
I love to shop at farmer’s markets. I was told years ago by my favorite strawberry lady to put them in a paper towel lined plastic storage container with a lid that seals well. I use a rectangular one where they do not have to be stacked on top of each other too much. They stay very well in the refrigerator. Rinse only before using. Judy D

View attachment 13439
A bit late to this party but I found rinsing the berries and tossing them into this baby, then put into the fridge, does the trick. They work well with little fuss…

Chef'n Bramble Berry Basket and Colander (1-Quart, Cherry)​

Latest resources

Back